Striper/Blues Arrival? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Striper/Blues Arrival?

craig
04-08-2002, 04:09 PM
Can people give an estimate on when the Stripers and the Blues will arrive in the Chatham area?

I have a rental that starts on Apr 27 2002. Do you think the fish will be around that early?

striblue
04-08-2002, 04:24 PM
Sorry Craig... not a chance.... should of got your rental later... we can always walk around town and maybe break into cars in the early morning..things like that..... Just kidding... schoolies should definitly be around the estuaries like Bridge street and in the bathtub.

Lefty
04-08-2002, 09:15 PM
Never. They will never arrive, and we will here John and Roop tell tall tales of them all summer. Their noses will be growing longer as does the length of those fish every time they tell the tale.:cool:

Lefty

juro
04-08-2002, 09:38 PM
Craig -

You might locate some fresh spring fish by sampling the dark-bottomed estuaries from Herring River to Bass River to Parkers to Cotuit to Mashpee and Falmouth working west. A month later and you'd be in fat city!

Break out the 5 weight - awesome trout fishing on Cape! Nickerson's got 5 ponds, Scargo is my favorite and it's right in Dennis.

If you get really desperate there are winter-overs in Scorton Crk. but that's pretty desperate IMHO.

I'd put my money on Bass R. for late April, but with such a cold spring it's a stretch.

I don't see the cherry blossoms being out by then.

Hawkeye
04-08-2002, 10:17 PM
If we put some heaters around a few cherry trees and get them to bloom will that bring the stripers?

juro
04-08-2002, 10:27 PM
Remember the old commercial...

"It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!" >lightning< ;)

jimo
04-10-2002, 11:40 AM
I've been watching some of the other boards andd someone posted some water temps for Cotuit up in the bay that were hitting 51 already. I think that was Sun. or Mon. so if this slight warm up continues we might hit 53 degrees ,thats always worked for me. Maybe by monday?

John Desjardins
04-10-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Hawkeye
If we put some heaters around a few cherry trees and get them to bloom will that bring the stripers?

I don't know how this relates... But, I pruned the fruit trees last weekend and I'd say that we are 2-3 weeks ahead of last year in terms of when things will bud. I also saw some trees ready to bloom near Fresh pond in Cambridge on my lunch time errands today.

ssully
04-10-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Hawkeye

This may pick up your spirits...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/cherryblossoms

...but I wouldn't count on it bringing the fish any earlier.

I'm now a believer that it's all about photons baby! Show them the light and then they'll come.

juro
04-10-2002, 06:11 PM
If I recall my biology class materials, buds and blooms are directly responses to two factors - average daylight per day (photons) and temperature.

Of course there is no direct causal relationship between flowers and striped bass, but the correllation is pretty remarkable!

Doogue and JeffB - Do you recall the date we hit Bass R. for the early bird scout trip last year? That one schoolie sure made my day. If I am not mistaken it was April...