Retailers with 'large' spey reels on sale? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Retailers with 'large' spey reels on sale?

fredaevans
04-05-2002, 12:27 PM
The clinic 'exposed' all of us to the new SA long-belly lines coming up. Loved these lines!!!!

But one thing I know is I'm going to need more, and larger, reels to hold these gems. Anyone aware of a web-site retailer with large (12-14 WF) reels on sale?
Fred

Philster
04-05-2002, 12:59 PM
Sierra trading post at SierraTradingPost.com had some standard arbor Abels with old style porting at good prices. Might just try calling Abel if Sierra is out and you want one. I was still working in a shop when they started dumping old style reels, and you never knew what they could "find" in some dusty corner until you called.

You don't need a large arbor (unless you are worried about paying for lots of backing (it ain't cheap!), or there is a weight issue), just a big HONKIN' reel. My 4.5 N is not only a great standard arbor reel (though a little too "cool" on the river, folks might think you're a yuppie:-) for spey, but it has the backing capacity and guts to handle Mexican Marlin, and a Baja trip for a West Coaster is about a quarter the cost of a major B.C. Steelie trip. About $280 for 4 days, 3 nights, and two days in a skiff with a captain plus airfare (double occupancy). Yo quiero pescar Dorado, Pez vella, Y Gallo!!!!! Sorry... I just confirmed a trip in October and I'm having trouble staying focused.

Doublespey
04-05-2002, 01:00 PM
Hi Fred,

rei.com has the Redington LA's that will hold 13/14wt lines and have enuf capacity for anything you'll want to throw. Around $225. Not on sale but a very good price.

Cabelas (www.cabelas.com) also has quite a few large LA reels at very reasonable prices.

You might also want to check at the www.flyshop.com auctions and classifieds because many dealers advertise closeout specials there and I've seen quite a few Loop and Sage LAs go for very good prices!

There are others as well, but these are where I'd start.

Good Luck,

Brian

MJC
04-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Fred, Doublespey is right about flyshop.com. In the classifieds I just saw some large Redingtons posted on April 4 by "tailwaters"

joecurr
04-05-2002, 03:01 PM
Hey Fred

ebay and The Virtual FlyShop auction sites have great selection and prices. The Hardy JLH Salmon I had at the Spey Clinic was a deal at $120.00 and when the reel arrived the seller (who was an upstate NY guide) included a bunch of his special local patterns. I have also bought a NIB discontinued Abel with warranty card for much less than the retail price.

Hang in there Fred...joe

roballen
04-05-2002, 07:28 PM
Hi Fred you might also consider looking around for a Scientific anglers "mastery" series reel they make on that is a 12/13. This reel was discintinues last summer so you should be able to find a very good deal on one try the Madison River Fishing Company.. MRFC.com

pescaphile
04-06-2002, 01:37 AM
John Norris in the UK has very attractive prices on Hardy reels. I believe you can pick up a new JLH Salmon for around $130US. The prices listed include a VAT that only applies to EU contries so if you reduce the price by 15-17% (can't recall just how much exactly) yiou'll find they're extremely attactive in price. Take a look at www.johnnorris.co.uk

And best yet, they're Hardys

pescaphile

NrthFrk16
04-06-2002, 01:53 AM
Fred-
Just to add a note to Doublespey's excellent recomendation, the AL's (AS's as well) have been Deep Sixed by Redington so I am sure some shops will be dumping them at a discounted price.

Moonlight
04-06-2002, 09:02 AM
Oh no! Pescaphile posted a very good source of used British fly reels some people worry about child proofing there computers so there children won't view "bad things". I'm worried my wife will see the web site for www.johnnorris.co.uk,talk about a compulsive buyer, this could be big trouble.(I should count up the ones she has bought maybe I should take a picture of them they say a picture is worth a thousand words, I'm sure theres not that many)
Some of those used reels might be interesting how many drawers full does a couple really need? Hope you are getting some much needed rain up your way. Low and clear water is the order of the day around here. A "few" too many others around for all day fishing but solitude may be rewarded early and late!
Persistent reports of surface action have me thinking about finishing up the last couple of weeks with a Muddler/ Big Clump of Deer Hair, having said that I guess I'd better spool off the Sink Tip and replace it with the Dry Line so I won't have the umbilical cord to hang on to.

pmflyfisher
04-06-2002, 09:18 AM
I could kick myself in the you know what for not picking up
a Hardy Perfect 20 years ago when they were still available.

What an idiot I was, and now they are hard to find and expensive beyond what I want to pay.

What Hardy reel would you guys recommend for a 7/8 weight spey rod which will be spooled with a 9/10 weight line most likely ?

I have a 9/10 weight WF sink tip on it temporarily until I decide on the long term line choice.

Remember I am in the great lakes and do not need to make the extremely long casts that PNW fellows do. Need a reel that can take that size line plus 200 yards of backing though. Do some lake streamer fishing and if you hook a skammania or king salmon 100 yards of backing is not enough, they have spooled many a person. Ah what a great and also simultaneousl sick feeling that is when it happens.

Actually they usually straighten my hook first before they spool me. Have to find stronger hooks, I am now tying with saltwater hooks, and hope that will be the solution.

Moonlight
04-06-2002, 10:17 AM
PM I really like the Perfects the one for the 7/8 spey would in my view be the 3 1/2". Perfects in even fractional (1/4 1/2 3/4) amounts are wide spool configuration (so are several other models). There is a new version of an old favorite called a Bougle they make it in 3 1/2 and it would be sweet with a 7/8. It is a raised pillar Perfect and is very well built and as smooth as butter. Another good choice is the Marquis Salmon I. I have several of these and use them with both 8DT and 9DT with ample backing for large western rivers if you find a choice of Salmon I or Salmon II for the same money take the II it is a wide spool and will give you more options .

pescaphile
04-06-2002, 10:26 AM
pm,
A marquis No.1 Salmon matches that size rod quite well though you wont be able to spool that much backing on it. Solution? Another reel! Or if you're of the practical nature, a bigger one.

A friend uses the JLH and it's a fine reel. The price from the site list above is hard to beat. It will hold plenty of backing. I use a No. 2 Marquis Salmon and have always liked it, but I you'd have to look awfully hard (and long) to find one at the price of a new JLH from John Norris. The JLH is probably a nicer reel to boot.

I just recently found a 4" Bougle and have it all spooled up and ready to go. Am having second thoughts though as I've placed a hideous sinktip line on it which seems close to blasphemy for such a fine reel. You can almost have that Perfect that you lamnet missing out on 20 years ago if you pick up one of these Bougles. Just cosmetic differences primarly. Of course that anodized finish isn't the same as real lead but you wont have to worry about toxicity should you give it a little smooch after landing a special fish.

And the older reels are out there too. You just have to look and be patient.

pesacaphile

pmflyfisher
04-06-2002, 11:33 AM
Pescaphile

Thanks for the input, yes I was looking at the Bougle and it looks much like the Old Perfect. Also will look at the JLH.

Before I leave this earth I have vowed to either get an Old Perfect or the most similar present Hardy model and listen to the sing of the drag as the silver streak burns across the water.

Best

Hal

P.S. My super purist days of floating line only are over, does not bother me to put on the sink tips any more, heck in my younger trout fishing days we would fish full sinking lines, which was before they had the graduated sink tips. Better be quiet am divulging my age. Of course I remember when I had to the grease fly line several times during the day also, oops there I go again........... :tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk:

loco_alto
04-07-2002, 12:20 AM
Fred,

I agree with others that looking around for used or discontinued is a great way to go. I'm a verified bottom feeder - otherwise the gear is just too pricey, and it gets dinged up anyway. I picked up used a CFO VI + X-Spool, both loaded w/ DT lines, for a mere $225, and in fine shape. That CFO VI holds 60' of TT8/9 backed with 30' of 10 wt. belly plus plenty of backing. The main problem with the reel is the terrible racheting noise that it makes when a fish is running :)

about light rods, I fish the JLH salmon on my Sage 7136-4. The reel balances the rod nicely, and they can be had for cheap. The JLH has capacity for big long lines but lacks the weight to balance longer rods. One of my JLH spools has 45' of LC13 wound around the core to make it heavier.

Going for used gear works great, but its best if you aren't in a rush.

Steve

fredaevans
04-07-2002, 03:40 AM
$200 for a Red AS 13-14, extra spool and a RIO line.
Fred

pmflyfisher
04-07-2002, 07:23 AM
He is either a man of action, or one in desparate need of a new fly reel to hold the new spey line he desparately needs to apply to his steelhead spey fishing quest.

Your just lucky we have the internet now with all of this expert information available and online purchasing available where you can pull the purchase trigger in a matter of minutes.

Not like the old days where you had to query anglers on your rivers, wait for the new tackle catalogs every spring and then take a chance on a new rod or reel that you new nothing about.

The joys of the modern internet world now make purchasing easier. I just did it for a new car the past two weeks. Picked it up yesterday (Chevy Trail Blazer).

Let me know what you think of that new Redington reel probably need a new one myself this year.

Cheers

Hal

andre
04-08-2002, 05:41 PM
Moonlight,

I agree, I love old perfects. They have a great sound, enough capacity for a transatlantic cable. They are simple and don't break if taken care as suggested. Additionally I get the funniest looks from people and comments. I had one guy ask me if I was going to upgrade my reel (early 20's vintage 4") because he was looking to get something cheap for his son. I just smiled and said no.

andre

Willie Gunn
04-09-2002, 02:05 PM
Hi All
Please do not look at this link it will only cause you to spend your dollars. Roughly 90 yes 90 hardy perfects some unused.

http://www.stephen-j-fawcett.com/index2ndreels.htm

Get behind me satan!!!

Malcolm

Moonlight
04-09-2002, 05:46 PM
PM Hal, talking about men of action, there are alot of great reels offered at fair prices- now is as good a time as any to quit putting off buying that Hardy Perfect.

andre
04-09-2002, 10:27 PM
Moonlight,

If you are looking for a perfect (3 1/2") drop me note, I have one in excellent condition that I have been thinking of swaping/selling and I'll let it go for less than 500 pounds.

Or a NIB Bougle 4

andre

Eric
04-10-2002, 04:49 PM
For the past few years, I have been gathering a few Hardy Perfects, including a Duplicate Mark II Salmon. The Salmon Perfect is a marvelous Spey reel, with a line capacity sufficient to spool a trans Atlantic cable, let alone a 10 wt. line. These used to be availabe for reasonable prices in the used market, but with the huge upsurge in interest in Spey casting in this country, they may have become more expensive. Just as a point of reference, I paid about $400 for mine just eight years ago. It's one of the ancients, with the huge, corrugated foot and all.

I also own a Hardy Marquis Salmon II, which I bought new when I became seriously interested in Spey casting (much more than a decade ago). While it has tremendous line capacity, it is a piece of junk compared to the old Perfects. The Hardy name does not confer quality on the company's current production reels, in my not-so-humble opinion. You're better off with the Reddingtons.

Cheers,

pmflyfisher
04-10-2002, 10:33 PM
Malcolm,

Great site never seen this one before.

I just wish I would of bought one 20 years ago and I almost did.

Will be looking through this site.

I guess I would need a 41/4 inch for a 9/10 weight spey line ?

Some of those are going for 1,100 to 1,300 US $$ !!

Best

Hal

JDJones
04-21-2002, 11:50 AM
You're not supposed to tell about all those cool websites until I sell my Bauer M6.

JD