Where will you fish? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Where will you fish?

FishHawk
02-05-2001, 04:55 PM
Where will you try for the first schoolies of the season and when? I will try Prince's Cove area around theApril 20th. I don't know about you but the schoolies can't arrive soon enough. Oh to feel that familar pull of the line as you say to yourself I hope its a live fish.
FishHawk

Hawkeye
02-05-2001, 05:48 PM
I'll probably hit the Plymouth power plant like last year. I'm not sure when I'll be doing it but I suspect it will be the first warmish day come spring.

striblue
02-05-2001, 07:05 PM
Red River beach in Harwich; The bridge(under and around it)at Stage harbor marine; and the "bath Tube" ( the east side of South Beach ,in that cove ), April 30+

hightech
02-05-2001, 08:03 PM
I'm pretty sure my first schoolie of the year will come from Just above the Rocks Village Bridge on the Merrimack.

Each year we get at least one or two schoolies while fishing for Shad.
Late april to early may is when they start. I'm sure they are probably holdovers though.

Lefty
02-05-2001, 08:39 PM
Maybe Bass River, or PI. In another vein I'm seriously considering a N.H. freshwater liscense this year. Salem N.H. is 15 mins from my house.

Terry

grego
02-05-2001, 09:15 PM
RI Pilgrimage in early April.
First boat launch, B-Bay Late April.
Then, Bass R. early May.

All Work & No Fishing makes Greg a Dull boy. Honey I'm Home! Here's Johnny!
Sorry, "The Shining" was on the other day. Outside the Hotel, it pretty much looked like it does outside my window, right now! Wendy, put down the bat....

striblue
02-05-2001, 10:08 PM
"No Mr. Grego, you are the caretaker here... you've always been the caretaker...",This snow is bad news. Did a couple of angle hair flies.. I losing it.

juro
02-06-2001, 06:08 PM
I hope I can sneak out for some native steelhead but... for schoolies I usually wait until they make it to the "homewaters" on the Nantucket Sound shoreline. Parkers, Herring, Bass, Red River, and up inside the dark bottomed estuaries where they tend to hold up in the early season.

Some years April, others May. I suppose I could squeak out a trip a week or two earlier in Buttermilk Bay, Weweantic River, or warm inlets and river systems on Buzzards Bay.

FredA
02-06-2001, 07:38 PM
I can see myself doing yard work at my aunts in Dennis sometime in the next 4 to 6 weeks. I'll tell my wife I'm going to "take a break and walk down to the water(Bass River)- maybe I'll take my rod and knock off the rust - be back in 15 minutes". An hour and a half later she'll come down to get me and there will be hell to pay.

First serious outing: Probably Bass River around the 1st of May. Also would like to check out RI and Buzzards Bay.

Fred A.

juro
02-06-2001, 07:40 PM
I think I smell a second annual Bass River Clave... last year was a blast! (Chronicles, SpringClave '2000)

I'm up for an opener. Anyone else?

striblue
02-07-2001, 12:03 AM
I would be there in a hurry. Sounds like a great way to start off the season.

Adrian
02-07-2001, 12:51 AM
I would definitely make the trip up from CT. It can't come soon enough!

FishHawk
02-07-2001, 05:21 AM
Count me in. sounds like a great idea.
FishHawk

ScotsPhil
02-07-2001, 08:34 AM
Strictly speaking my post shouldn't be in this topic.

I'll allow myself a tenuous link for two reasons: firstly, 'cos I'd love to be SWFF with you guys and can't wait till the end of May when I lose my SW virginity; and secondly, 'cos the place I'll first wet a line this year is within a few hundred yards of the coast.

I'll begin the fishing season here in Scotland on my favourite water, Coldingham Loch. It's a small Loch in the Border area of the country and sits in a glacial valley near high cliffs overlooking the North Sea. It's without doubt one of the most productive trout fisheries in Scotland and produces Rainbows(stocked) from opening day in March till it closes in November. Even in March I can fish a floating line and small nymphs & buzzers, as we call the Chironomid family members.

Some opening days the snow can be piled high at the side of the road and on others you can fish without a jacket. The owner always has a tray of the finest Scotch drams to welcome us and the 'spirit' of cameraderie is always high. The anticipation for me is half the excitment; you know that your cabin fever is coming to an end and in a beautiful part of the country.

Is there any other pastime which takes place in so many beautiful locations and fills its followers with anticipation, realisation and dare I say it, relief when that first fish is landed.

Tight lines in the surf guys....(only 32 sleeps to go)...for me at least.....he laughed in an insensitive sort of way!!!!!

Phil

TinMan
02-07-2001, 08:40 AM
Sure, count me in (how could I say no to this)!

Adrian
02-07-2001, 08:50 AM
Hi ScotsPhil - I used to make an early season trip up to fish the Teviot at Ancrum - great Sea Trout runs given rain but good Grayling in low water. I never fished Coldingham but friends have. I did go up to Cow Green one year when we were flodded out at Ancrum.

Started tha day fishing in shirtsleeves and left the water fighting a major hailstorm and force 10 winds.

Ahh, spring in the borders!

tomd
02-07-2001, 10:15 AM
I'm in.... Tom D

FredA
02-07-2001, 11:46 AM
I'm in too.

doogue
02-07-2001, 12:36 PM
I would be there if the Bass River clave takes form.

Sounds great.

Mattb
02-07-2001, 12:42 PM
I'm definitely in, spring can't come fast enough.

Matt

juro
02-07-2001, 02:11 PM
OK - I'll get going on the info page. Who will meister this year?

Roop
02-07-2001, 03:13 PM
Time to give something back, I'll meister.

Roop