CT River Walleye Fishing info needed... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: CT River Walleye Fishing info needed...

ssully
04-01-2002, 10:29 PM
Hi All,

A couple of friends asked for information about walleye fishing in the CT river and boat launch areas. I couldn't help them. Can anyone here make any recommendations. TIA

Dble Haul
04-02-2002, 08:31 AM
Have your friends try the following site:

http://www.ctriverstripers.com

This site has a message board with very helpful members. They should get some reliable info in a short amount of time after posting.

Quentin
04-02-2002, 08:53 AM
Hi Sully,

I can't help with specific info about targeting walleyes, but maybe this will help. It's a list of MA launch sites with info about the ramp and the species that can be caught in each body of water.

http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/PAB/pab_table1.htm

There are several launch sites for the CT River, but it looks like they just listed the same species for all CT river locations without considering that some species may inhabit different sections of the river. I have never fished for walleyes there, but I have heard that they are more plentiful in the north sections of the river. With this in mind, I would suggest trying the Hatfield and Northfield sites. Both areas have tributaries entering nearby, which may be springtime hot spots for walleyes. Barton's Cove is just above the Turner's Falls dam and is more like a lake than a river. I don't know if walleyes are caught there, but it's a prime bass fishing spot.

I have a friend who works for the DFW and I will ask her for more info.

Quentin

Quentin
04-04-2002, 08:08 PM
Here's the response from my friend at the DFW:

"I know that just south of the French King bridge in Gill/Turners Falls is
the hot spot to ice fish for walleye, and I would assume it is good the rest
of the year. Put in at Barton's Cove (once the ramp opens-early May?) and
head up river 1/2 - 1 mile or so. The area across from the Turners Falls Rod
& Gun Club is popular in the winter, so maybe boating between the cove north
to the bridge would produce some walleyes. "

Hope this helps.

Q