fishing report - good! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: fishing report - good!

Brennan Baker
04-01-2002, 10:09 PM
Well Inland lake in Powell River opened today and I decided to go. Got there, started fishing at around 6:30am. First cast got a 16 incher, Went on and got a 22 inch cutty(nice fat cutty.) After that got 3 more about 16 inches. Then got another 22 inch cutty. After that got another, 17 inches(unbelevable spunk in it) That was at noon(lunch) 12:00, then fishing DIED! Fished for a while missed two nice fish Then at the end of the day when I was about to go...WHAM...hooked into a monster. It was rolling all over the surface jumping, peeling line and then it goes for a huge run, now I cant stop this thing and it runs right into a snag pile Spent along time untangling my line from a snag and then went home.
There were lots of boats out there too. Juging by what I heard from other anglers seems me and my two fishing buddies, each in diferent boats did the best on the lake. So that was basicly my first real day trip, and not a bad way to start the season off.
Oh ya my buddies got a bunch too. One of them had about a 6 pounder on but lost it.
Black and Maroon Woolly Buggers,
type 4 - 5 sinking line,
six weight rod,
6 pound test leader,
and the fish were about 30 feet deep right on bottom.

jared
04-02-2002, 07:59 AM
Brennan --

how far is the drive to Inland (from black point for instance)??

--j

Brennan Baker
04-02-2002, 10:11 PM
not sure about a time but it shouldnt take that long. Its only a 20 min (estimation) drive from Cranberry lake. So when are you thinking about coming up again??

jared
04-02-2002, 10:17 PM
Brennan --

Early to Mid August...working out the details soon.....

have my fingers crossed that either the pinks or coho
will be in by then too!

-jared

Brennan Baker
04-03-2002, 11:19 PM
last year was the good year for Pinks but there should be some Coho around. Fishing is good in the summer at Inland, but there will be quite a bit of fishing pressure. Just go deep with a fast sinking line right off the drop:)

jared
04-04-2002, 11:31 AM
last year SHOULD have been good for pinks...I just didn't manage to make it to BC.

hopefully we can manage to fish inland together when i'm out there this year.

--j

Brennan Baker
04-11-2002, 12:06 AM
Ya that would be great. I got a 12 foot aluminum flat bottom with a 9.9 now so im all decked out for larger lakes. What do you fish from. Email me before you come to Powell River. Ok?

jared
04-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Brennan --

I will email before we head up. I fish out of a clipper canoe.

--j