Fly Fishing Forum banner

Kayak Modifications/Additions

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
I have a Frenzy Kayak by OceanKayak. Its a sit on top, so I have the basic back rest. After long paddles last summer, I found that my legs would "fall asleep" sort of making standing a little difficult upon exiting the yak. (Read, I fell on my ar$e.) I am trying to decide whether to buy the fancy fishing backrest or to fashion my own. I think I can whip up some rod holders out of some PVC, Cable Ties, and holes in the rest I have. The pouch on the back isn't really necessary to me. Now the big thing...the seat under me. I thought about using a boat cushion, but fear that it will hold lots of water and become an annoyance once I return to dry land. I am also wondering if maybe some closed cell foam would work. I might even be able to Velcro it to the area. Any thoughts or suggestions?:confused:

#3 ·
My WS Tarpon came with an integral backrest and self adhesive pad for the seat. The pad is thin but surprisingly comfortable. Some people don't like the back rest, others love it - for me so far so good. Being fairly rigid its great to lean back against for a rest after a lengthy paddle in the 'forward tilt' position. My legs were asleap when I got back to the landing on Sunday.

Maybe a bit of flexing from time to time which is much easier in a SOT :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.