Saltwater Studs [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Saltwater Studs

Roop
04-01-2002, 03:40 PM
* From Florida Sportsman magazine

Some fishing stories are so wild that anglers don’t need to embellish on major or minor details. One that came our way fits this description to a T. Seems that Minnesota Twins first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz and ESPN host Ron Schara got a double hookup on sails while fishing aboard Catch 22 off Islamorada. With both reels dangerously low on line due to the sails streaking away in opposite directions, skipper Scott Stanzcyk instructed his mate to attach an anchor buoy ball to Mientkiewicz’s rod and reel and toss it overboard. The move allowed the captain to chase down Schara’s sail for a quick release. Upon returning some 10 minutes later for the submerged outfit, Mientiewicz discovered his fish was still there. He reeled it to the boat and scored his first spindlebeak release.

striblue
04-01-2002, 04:11 PM
Jeff... our stories are wilder.... right?

MarkDoogue
04-01-2002, 04:58 PM
If they strapped the buoy to Mientkiewicz, then I would be impressed!

Let the athlete tread water, with a fish on the other end, for 20 minutes. Wimp!!!:hehe:

Roop
04-01-2002, 07:32 PM
I don't know, making that kind of decision and going back to find the rod & catch thje fish just seems pretty cool to me.

Striblue, oh yeah, real cool stories, "So I see John down the beach and he's got another monster fish on...":rolleyes:

Mark, as far as the water goes buddy, I rmember a couple of studs in kayaks out too far on a bar and trying to find their way back to the yaks...:chuckle:

MarkDoogue
04-01-2002, 08:17 PM
Touché :rolleyes:

marvin
04-05-2002, 07:54 AM
and, just a small point, but notice that the rod that got tossed over did not belong to anybody with the potential for broadcasting a story about lost tackle. :D

recently read about a tuna trip where the about-to-be-spooled rod was clipped to a full reel and tossed over- don't think I'd want to experiment with that method.......

Nick
04-05-2002, 08:34 AM
I've read that before. I think its pretty standard practice when fighting off of one of the long range party boats. If you can't get in the smaller craft fast enough, they just lock the drag on the first one, hook up the second outfit, and toss it in. And I get bummed when I get cutoff and lose a fly!

Nick

Hawkeye
04-08-2002, 10:14 PM
What kind of knot do you use when joining the first rod to the tippet of the second? Nail, Improved clinch, Uni, other?

striblue
04-08-2002, 10:23 PM
Come on Gregg ... remember.... we use a welder torch with our Maui Jim's to protect our eyes.