renzetti sw traveler hook size ? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: renzetti sw traveler hook size ?

johnp
04-01-2002, 10:02 AM
Hi All,

I'm looking at getting the renzetti sw cam traveler. What I want to
know is how small of a hook size can it realisticaly handle. Most of my flies are 4 -3/0 but I occasionally tie down to 8 or maybe 10.
Has anyone tried tying small flies on the sw traveler?

JohnP

Dble Haul
04-01-2002, 10:16 AM
John- Although I've never used this particular device, I seem to remember seeing in catalogs that it is rated for hooks as small as a size 6. Does this mean that you can't fit an 8 or 10 in it? Probably not, but it is slightly outside of the manufacturer's specs.

Dble Haul
04-01-2002, 11:08 AM
I stand corrected. The vise is rated for hook sizes 4 through 8/0. You can find out lots of great info on these at www.renzetti.com. Good luck.

fisheze
04-18-2002, 08:17 PM
I tie bonefish flies on 6, 4 and 2's on my Renzetti saltwater vise with no problem. I haven't tried anything smaller than a 6.
I can't see why you shouldn't be able to tie anything smaller. The vise clamps all the way down to closure.

I just went and tried a #8 in the vise and it held with no problems.

Angie
www.ExumaBonefish.com

Adrian
04-18-2002, 08:50 PM
John, I dont have the Cam version but I have tied on hooks from size 12 (recent trout fly swap) up to 8/0 - yup it was a bit of a squeeze and I probably voided the warranty but it worked! The knob on my traveller isn't the standard one but a larger diameter.

johnp
04-19-2002, 09:18 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. I decided to upgrade to the cam sw traveler. The rotary function should also help with repositioning the flies without removing and resetting the hook.

JohnP