Fly Fishing Forum banner

It's a happy Easter when

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Reeba 
#1 ·
the neighborhood easter egg hunt is over, the sun is shining, you're gettgn ready to head back into the office when your wife talks you into to taking an hour or two to go fishing.

Hit one of my favorite ponds with the yak. My go to yellow poppers didn't produce so I went to my #2 fly, gold ribbed hairs ear nymph. Lots of pumpkin seeds and blue gills, beautiful colors on them so early in the season. Lost my fly to a cat tail and went to the #3 fly, an olive & purple wooly bugger/ clouser with great results.

Funny how a nice bulegill can give you a good tussle on a #4 rod & pull around the yak.

Roop

#2 ·
. . . you check out your favorite backwater area and find loads of fat, feisty, hungry largemouths between 1 and 4 pounds!

This particular spot is not conducive to flyfishing so they were all caught on spinning gear. I'm pumped for my next outing, which will be to a similar spot that has enough room to use the flyrod and will (hopefully) enable me to bag my first bigmouth on a fly!

Q

#3 ·
Try a spey rod

Reply to Quentin. You mentioned a backwater that was not conducive to flyfishing.If the problem was no room for a backcast consider a speyrod. I love mine for warmwater fishing because it allows shorecasting in tight places which opens up lots of convenient opportunities in both lakes and rivers.

#4 ·
Reeba,
I don't know if a spey rod would help in this situation, even if I could figure out how to cast it! There is no current and I thought that was required for spey casting. A skilled fly caster could probably do ok at this spot, but I have a hard enough time fly casting even in open areas so I figured I'd be better off with the spinning rod :hehe: It was also my first time fishing there this year and I wasn't sure if the bass were even in there yet. I may go back and give it a try with the flyrod just to see if I can do it.

Q

#6 ·
Interesting question, that threads taken a turn for the worse.

I posted "make hay while the sun shines" which to me meant taking care of the wife and family as much as possible when you're not involved with something FF related.

Doing that has allowed me to do things like get off the phone and say, "I'm going to Key West tarpon fishing in 2 weeks" and my wife responding with, "great, have fun!" Or spend as much time striper fishing as I want.

I'm a lucky man but, I make my luck. ;)

Roop

#7 ·
Spey rod

Quentin A spey rod works fine on still water. Spey casting is basically roll casting with a few twists. The longer rod allows a longer cast. I use a spey or roll cast when there's no room for a backcast and overhead casts when there is room. They're great on lakes and ponds. I do strap a plastic basket on my belt to collect line as it can get tangled in emergent vegetation otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.