Holy Grail II - GREAT TIME! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Holy Grail II - GREAT TIME!

juro
03-31-2002, 12:35 AM
Lots of tales to tell... I'll get the photo gallery and story up right after the April article (chronomid fishing by Tyler Kushnir).

Holy Grail II, coming soon... (doublespey on the banks of the upper Hoh):

NrthFrk16
03-31-2002, 12:49 AM
Juro-
Hope you had a good flight home and it was excellent to see and fish alongside you again!! :)

juro
03-31-2002, 09:50 AM
Ryan the pleasure was all mine to savor the beauty and take part in the legacy of the region's rivers with such great friends. I look forward to the next trip - fall coho / summer steelhead combo in 2003 (or sooner) :devil:

roballen
03-31-2002, 01:02 PM
Yeah but umm where are all the fish pictures?

Juro if you come in the fall you gotta come down and float the Klickitat with me..

juro
03-31-2002, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the invite Rob... I'll take you up on it! Just ask the Seattle gang, I'm not just saying that ;)

As far as fish pictures... spring fish are the Holy Grail of flyfishing. You need the stars and moon and fate and lady luck all at once to score a spring native. If you don't get enough out of the fishing itself (vs. the catching) you shouldn't go at all.

Luckily I did land a native steelhead on the Skagit, but even if I had not the trip would have lost none of it's magic.

Eugene
03-31-2002, 07:11 PM
Do I spy a Sand Bug in that fishes mouth?

sean
03-31-2002, 09:15 PM
I had a great time as well. Nice to finally meet the boss man Juro as well as Brian, Pete , Bob, Tyler and Ryan from the board. Learned a ton about steelheading. Juro even fixed my single handed cast in a matter of minutes and gave me some impromptu spey lessons on the river. The steelies are in for it this summer before I pack my bags and head out east.

Well off to the florida keys on Wednesday for a date my some bones, tarpon, and if I am lucky a permit. Full report on my return and thanks again all for the great time the past week.

-sean

pmflyfisher
04-01-2002, 12:36 PM
Yep I think that is Juros Sand Bug and agree even without catching steelhead I am sure it was a great trip for Juro and the others.

The scenery, solitude, friends, and pursuit of steelhead are more important than the actual catching to me any way.

juro
04-01-2002, 06:55 PM
OOPs sorry, yep that's the sand bug but not the yarnbody version I sent to the swap - more the original (see archive, very old post) with marabou tied in beneath the hackles in each of four segments. Golden pheasant verses imitation indian crow; these were pretty large flies on Alec Jackson 1.5 bronze Spey hooks.

This is the actual bug on the Lamson Spey reel just before being cast into the Skagit...

Doublespey
04-01-2002, 07:25 PM
It was a fun trip - Juro's visits always spawn a flurry of tying, Scotch drinking, socializing, and . . . .most importantly FISHING! :devil:

His visits are a perfect excuse to the fiancee. "Juro's flying all the way from Boston, so I Have To go Fishing!!" It works ~really~ well! ;)

I'll save the stories for when Holy Grail II comes out, but for now suffice it to say that my biggest challenges were (1) finding a steelhead and (2) avoiding Juro's Roving Electronic Eye. I did marginally well with the first given the conditions, but failed miserably on the second!!:chuckle:

Thanks to Pete , Bob, Tyler, Ryan, and Sean for helping make it a great week of steelheading.

Pete - glad to hear you got back OK. Talked to James (he hit a 24" cutt in one of the desert lakes last weekend :eyecrazy: ) - he's picking up the oars and anchor tonite!

Happy Swinging!

Brian

NrthFrk16
04-01-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Doublespey
(2) avoiding Juro's Roving Electronic Eye. I did marginally well with the first given the conditions, but failed miserably on the second!!:chuckle:

Brian

Ahh...that is being nice. Just refer to him as The Voyeur!! He doesn't mind... ;) :D

I will say too, that Juro's visits are a blast....they are too short and too much fun.

Looking forward to next time!! :)

OC
04-02-2002, 10:07 AM
Juro,
Glad you made it out and got a fish too. Sinktip tells me we just missed you Friday on the Sauk. Did get to watch Brian land his fish from across the river though. It's funny we had just commented on fishing the run we were at from the other side when Brian and a friend walked in and fished it. We thought Brian had moved too far up into the fast deep water and would never get down. But bang fish on! Ya got to just love steelhead fishing, every time out you can learn something new.
Enjoy the warm water this week!
OC

juro
04-02-2002, 10:56 AM
Thanks OC! Would have been awesome to hook up with you and Duggan on the Sauk, at least we were on the same water even if we didn't connect.

Ryan - you must be kidding... I can hardly get you out of my way when I take a picture! You even grabbed my steelhead for a picture last fall! :devil:

Ok Brian - what fly did you hit that fish on? :devil:

J/K - always a total BLAST fishing with you guys, Ryan get out here to striper country like Brian and Tyler one of these days!

Also - thanks for the hospitality.

Steelheader69
04-02-2002, 08:50 PM
Man, don't you guys like me???? I'm sorry I still swing a baitcaster, I promise I'll do better. Geez, I didn't get an invite. :confused: I'm just unloved. :( :( Don't you know it's not nice to leave me out, especially when I had days off last week. :tsk_tsk:

ROFL. Just teasing. I'll be hitting the Hoh and a couple zippers next week that are producing fish. :D Hmmmm, maybe if I feel generous, maybe I'll even let ole' sparkey go for a ride on my boat. LOL Will be fishing the Hoh mostly, floating from Morgan's to Oxbow, but will probably do a float on another river at least one day.

Too bad I missed you Juro, would've been nice to meet you. Maybe next time.

juro
04-02-2002, 09:50 PM
My apologies, no one was intentionally left out or forcefully included :rolleyes: I just started emailing people randomly. Next time I will be more organized. It will be my pleasure to hook up with you!

Most likely a fall trip next time. Spring is HARD! ;)

pmflyfisher
04-03-2002, 03:58 PM
Juro,

That sand bug looks like one big fly. Bet if I tied that in black, purple, cerise, fluorescent green our great lakes summer run skamanias may attack it. Maybe our early fall fish also. The winter and spring steelies in our normal clear water conditions would have a panic attack I suspect while watching it approach them. I have watched them in very clear water conditions continually move away from flies that are to large or bright etc. Size 6 and 8 flies at times are to large here. See the new Matt Supinski - Steelhead Dreams which I bought a few weeks ago, he has some great pictures of our clear water conditions on Michigan rivers. Now they are getting even clearer due to the Zebra Mussels !

Hal