Chatham-4:30 AM-34 inch Striper [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham-4:30 AM-34 inch Striper

striblue
03-30-2002, 11:12 PM
Sorry.... had to post it... Just wanted to make sure I put in my annual late March fake fishing report... Need to see a fishing report... any report here in the NE saltwater.:devil:

Slinger
03-31-2002, 03:17 AM
This is for real. Fished near Prov. this afternoon, and picked 7 Bass up to 24" in 2 hrs. of fishing the flat. Water is warming nicely and fish are moving around. If it isn`t a downpour I expect to be back for tomorrows low at 3:30.
Slinger

Adrian
03-31-2002, 10:41 AM
I had my first of the year yesterday on the Housy at Devon - 3 around 20 - 23 in one hour. Another 3 and lost one on this mornings tide.

Stripers in March - life is good!

juro
03-31-2002, 01:05 PM
Bright fish or holdovers?

Adrian
03-31-2002, 01:29 PM
I would say holdovers - no lice on any of the fish I caught. I heard a report of a 33 incher taken further up river last week-end so maybe on or two ealy birds are making an arrival.

RayStachelek
03-31-2002, 07:39 PM
March 31st, that's the earliest I've ever caught a striper away from holdover areas. First fish was a good six pounds, bright and clean. Total - six fish today. A few had spots of sea lice. What was neat about today, they were all different sizes, suggesting maybe different schools. As soon as it got cloudy the bite stop. Fish always seem more active in the early season during bright conditions. Might also help locating the fly in murky conditions. Slinger was there too with his new Easter duds.

juro
03-31-2002, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the report Ray; my earliest is April 10th at the mouth of the Bass R. quite a ways up the coast from you - and the whole area was socked in with bright spring arrivals from 18-30". Next tide change - two or three around between a dozen anglers, they had moved onward and upward that quickly. One mid-May evening on West Dennis beach season before last what seemed to be a two hundred yard long horde of finning bass appeared on the scene, once again gone by the next morning.

Glad to hear they are finning by Rhody already, by Spring Clave things should really be bustling for us down there!