Fly Fishing Forum banner

L L Bean rods - anybody fish 'em?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Sprocket 
#1 ·
Anybody have any experience with Bean's Streamlight rods (or any of their others for that matter)?

I'm looking at 4pc rods and have the usual suspects, TFO, St.C, Redington, Orvis & Sage...trying to keep it under a car payment.

disclaimer: I understand full well that I need to cast the rod to be sure it suits, just trying to eleminate/justify a trip up there.

#2 ·
I've had a streamlight 4pc 9wt for almost 5 or 6 years now I think. Its my main 9wt. $199. No complaints. Nice smooth action, light for all day long casting. I've caught all size fish on it. Maybe I don't know any better since I've never owned an "expensive" rod.
Not much more to say.

<soapbox>
I've realized over the past week that I have spent too much time previously on the way things preform, look, etc. The more I looked at the stuff I have, the more I noticed that the stuff I'm happiest with is the stuff I haven't thought about. No complaints, and I barely think about them. They just work.
</soapbox>

They're really isn't a need to drive up there. Buy it. If you don't like it, Bean'll take it back. If it breaks ten years from now, they'll send you a new one, then you can send the old one back. That's Bean's best selling point. No questions asked satisfaction guarentee. At least that as been my experience.

#3 ·
My 9 wt for saltwater and pike is a Bean Quest rod that I bought about five years ago, and I have no complaints. It casts well, whips fish in a reasonable amount of time, and has the thorough guarantee that someone has already mentioned. I like it, and although I don't think that they make the Quest any more, I'm sure that their other rods are comparable.

Good luck with your search.

#7 ·
I have heard similar things about Bean using Loomis blanks but I cannot verify.

Sprocket - I have a 9 weight 9 foot Guide series rod that my Dad bought for me when I graduated from college. Recently, since my brother has my 5 piece 9 weight Sage PRLXi, I have been fishing with the Bean rod again. I really do like the rod. It makes me wonder why I bought the Sage - although I do like the Sage a bit better.

Bottom line - I love the Bean rods that I have cast in the past (I have a 5 weight Bean rod too) and the service is indeed superb. If you are going to buy a rod and you want to save some cash then you should call around to the outlets and ask them what rods they have in stock(Concord, NH and Nashua, NH are close enough to you). You could hit Nashua yourself (they will hold a rod for you for 24 hours) and if Concord has the rod you want then you should contact me (I live in Concord) and I can pick the rod up for you. The Concord store had a nice 9 weight the last time I checked. It was 40% off or so.

-Mike

#8 ·
Mike - I already bought a Streamlight 4 pc. 9# a month ago...thanks very much for the offer though - appreciated heavily.

note: if you're gonna buy a bean rod, check the hardware carefully. When I bought mine at the freeport store, I noted hardware differences between the same models - the newer ones had "cheaper" hardware - single-foot guides, lesser reel seat, etc.
I bought a floor model that had good hardware...

look for a review of rod sometime next month...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.