brand names [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: brand names

newbiefish
03-27-2002, 05:46 AM
Just so I'm not totally lost in a fly shop, what brand names are considered the best and which ones are considered low end?

Is the rod business competitive enough so that at a certain price point all the rods are the same quality?

tomd
03-27-2002, 07:51 AM
:rolleyes: what a can of worms you opened!!!:hehe:
well, the best way to answer you is "maybe". we all have our own style, and like different things. so, what I may like and consider the "best rod I ever cast", you may hate. there are "premium rods, IE: Sage, Powell, Loomis, Scott,and T+T($500+)... then there are some rods in those lines that are more moderately priced($300+). then there is Orvis, Redington, then on the cheaper end Redbone,Temple Fork etc ($99.00 to $200.00). you can spend from $700.00 down to $99.00 and the worst part is... unless you cast them, you'll never know for sure which is best for you. you'll stand a better chance with the premiums at being happy if you buy without testing though(they don't cost that much for nothing :tsk_tsk: ). good luck, test anything you can. Tom D

Lefty
03-27-2002, 08:05 AM
There's St. Croix also in the $100-$300 range. Good and dependable rods. I agree with Tom that the cheaper rods made by the high end manufacturers can perform pretty well. Sometimes they use the same blanks as their high end stuff. But they are up there in price. Typically well over $200.

Good luck and post additional questions if you need.

Lefty

tomd
03-27-2002, 09:32 PM
St. Croiux, I knew there was another player in the rod business I couldn't remember. thanks for the assist Terry