My one free stupid question.... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: My one free stupid question....

sean
03-21-2002, 11:27 PM
I have a rio multi-tip line for my steelheading and forgot if the purple or black barcode on the tips is the fast sink. I am 95% percent sure it is the black one but thought I would check. Could not find the info on the rio website.

thanks,

-sean

Doublespey
03-21-2002, 11:53 PM
Black is the heavy one - the other way to tell is that the slower sinking tip (of the same line wt) will be thicker.

sean
03-22-2002, 12:07 AM
Cool. Thanks for the help. I figured as much but got confused as I also have an airflo and the slower one is brown unlike the rios which are both black.

Didin't think to check the diameters. Shows how often I fish tips....

-sean

fredaevans
03-22-2002, 04:43 PM
Man, am I way over my limit. Great question as I'd lost track of the same issue this morning.
fe

sean
03-22-2002, 04:53 PM
I hope we get more than one as well :hehe:

I feel like an arse cause I have been fishing the purple one the past couple times out and thinking it was the heavier one. Last night when I was installing some better loops I realized they were both black lines. Thinking it was like the airflo I had just been using whatever black tip in my wallet I saw first.

No wonder I wasn't ticking the bottom like I do with the airflo. Think of all the fish I probably missed:chuckle:.

Hopefully I can make up for the mistake this coming week.

-sean

NrthFrk16
03-22-2002, 10:08 PM
Yesterday I realized something, each one of my wallets (one for 8/9/10 WC, one for 9/10/11 WC) were both labeled 9/10/11. :(

What to do now... :confused:

fredaevans
03-22-2002, 10:17 PM
Given your bus. if you have a ammo loading scale (in grams) and know - easily find out - the wt. of the tips in grams, you're good to go.

Just wt. the buggers, this will give you one part of the equation. The other part is (and this is an assumption) is the larger line size will be the bigger of the tips in width, etc. Did I cover that in English?
:confused:

Doublespey
03-22-2002, 11:05 PM
oops . . . better not finish that thought. :devil: :devil: :devil:

Seriously though . . .at work whenever one of our group asks an (arguably) stupid question, the preferred response is "That's what the Internet's for!!"

Hell, if it weren't for stupid questions there wouldn't *be* the Internet as we know it. :chuckle: :chuckle: If I had a nickel for every stupid question I answered on the Internet I'd probably have enuf to buy a new Rio Speyline!

Sparky - you're eyes are still good, right?? You should be able to see a slight difference in the diameters as Fred suggested. If not, then you may actually have 2 9-10-11 sinktip setups (if not the whole lines). :eyecrazy:

In that case I'd go back to the store where you bought it and read that salesman the Riot Act!!! :hehe:

Thanks for the report - hell, I don't even care if you caught that fish on an "Aero"fly - the pics were awesome and remind me why I love that river!

Tight lines all!

DS