SW WA/ Portland area [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: SW WA/ Portland area

TMW
03-21-2002, 01:49 PM
Headed down to the Portland area (Newberg) tonight or tomorrow morning for a birthday party on Sat. Any tips on a good place to fish for Steelhead for half a day or so? I am from Snohomish, and haven't fished any of the rivers in Southern WA or OR. Thanks for any tips.
Tom

Eric
03-21-2002, 02:34 PM
River should be in good shape for flies this weekend, provided we don't get more heavy rain.

Try the Kalama or East Fork of the Lewis, both in southern Washington. Kalama is probably the easier river to figure out if you haven't fished around here before. Stop in at Western Anglers before you start and ask them about what's going on. Western Anglers is about four miles upriver from the freeway.

Good luck. Some big springers just might be shouldering in about now.

Cheers,

roballen
03-21-2002, 08:17 PM
East Fork and Washougal are both closed to all fishing!!

Kalama is probably still very high.
You best option will be to fish the Sandy river.
You could go into Oxbow park and fish some of the water there. Drive in and park near the Boat ramp and walk upstream you'll find good water there.
That is probably your best option in the area and the fishing has been pretty good. not for me but for everyone else:O)
hope this helps but whatever you do do not fish the Washougal or the East lewis

fredaevans
03-21-2002, 11:23 PM
Give Mark B, or his staff, a call they can get you 'dialed in' asap on the Sandy. Think they have personal names for most of the rocks in the river.
fe:hehe:

JAV
03-28-2002, 03:28 PM
I am heading to Camas this weekend from Seattle and was wondering about the status of the Washougal. Is it an emergency closure? In the past has there been steelhead fishing during the end of March and beginning of April?

My wife's family lives there and we visit often, I recently found a nice stretch of water but it looks like I will not be fishing it this weekend. Such is life. Maybe I will cross the border and fish the Sandy.

gordonf
03-28-2002, 04:08 PM
I agree with Rob. The Sandy River is probably your best best. Another spot to fish besides Oxbow is around Dodge Park. Park across the river from the park and hike down stream. There is some very nice fly water in this stretch. Good luck.

roballen
03-28-2002, 10:32 PM
Gordon.. I did not know you views this board.. How long have you been lurking??

JAV The Washougal is closed every year between March 15th to April 15th to protect the depressed run of wild winter steelhead. I can't see as it will ever open for a March-April fishery ever again. In all reality the river should never be opened both it's summer and winter runs are severly depressed. However if you are down this way in june by all means fish it and please kill every hatchery fish you catch.

gordonf
03-28-2002, 10:40 PM
Since February. What gave me away - the hat?:)

JAV
03-29-2002, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the information Rob. I didn't realize the Washougal was in such bad shape. That is sad to hear.

andre
03-29-2002, 04:54 PM
Gordon,

I believe the water below dodge is still officially "closed" to access by the property owner. Form what I have heard they just got tired of kicking everyone out but it os still trespassing even though the signs have been torn off every weekend? or has this gone back to the open access of years ago?

andre

BTW, the hat is to small to really notice in the pics. However, in real life there is no mistaking it er, you.

TMW, I have had good reports from the Clackamas.

gordonf
03-29-2002, 08:58 PM
Andre,

I accidently created a new thread. Check out the Dodge thread for my reply.

Tight Lines