First day of spring [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: First day of spring

Roop
03-20-2002, 10:32 AM
finds me tossin' cookies & dreaming of being on the water.

Can't wait to hook up with our finned friends as well as the forum members.

Should we have a prize for the first legal striper caught (and released!) in Mass by a registered forum member. It has to be documented by someone else, too many shady characters (myself included), maybe by photo?

Roop

Dble Haul
03-20-2002, 10:38 AM
Ah, I see, you have a requirement for the striper being caught in Massachusetts. Is this the home court advantage? :devil:

Roop
03-20-2002, 03:15 PM
Good point, think global - act local right?

OK, then we have to have a standardized size - 32"?

Fish already caught don't count. We need to pick a start date.

Mass, RI, CT?

Caught by a member with more than 5 posts or has been a member for more than 1 month? Need to inspire the lurkers... :D

Any other ideas?

Jimmy
03-20-2002, 04:59 PM
This sounds great. How about 1st legal keeper. I think everyone is at 28 inches. But I can go with 32 inches. Or 34. Or 36....Who cares!?!? I'll be out in the morning if we decide on the rules and a date. Of course, the fish must be caught on a fly tied by the angler. :devil:

Tod D
03-20-2002, 05:41 PM
fly tied by the angler... on a rod built by same angler, and while wet wading at least to mid thigh...:whoa:

Nick
03-20-2002, 05:51 PM
I vote 4". Oh, you guys are talking about spring stripers. I thought we were talking about THE AMOUT OF SNOW WE ARE GOING TO GET! So much for spring. I can't even go skiing this weekend.
:eyecrazy:

Nick
03-20-2002, 05:57 PM
I vote 4". Oh, you guys are talking about spring stripers. I thought we were talking about THE AMOUT OF SNOW WE ARE GOING TO GET! So much for spring. I can't even go skiing this weekend.
:eyecrazy:

Roop
03-20-2002, 06:55 PM
If there is going to be a wet wading requirement, should it be waderless? I'd throw my money behind Striblue (blue lips) then.

One last honest to goodness issue: start time - when?
Sorry Jimmy, I think we need to make it fair to a majority of the striper states - at least the New England states.

Rules so far:
1. 32" fish
2. documented via photo or buddy
3. a member of the forum

The prize will be worth your while.

Roop

MarkDoogue
03-20-2002, 07:06 PM
I say the start date corresponds to the first Rip Trip:hehe:

striblue
03-20-2002, 07:26 PM
Ok Jeff... I go waderless if summertime....I wonder what the prize will be... but we can make it a good one.

FrenchCreek
03-20-2002, 07:46 PM
Spring that unsprung!
Woke up at MINUS 26Celsius this morning, high for the day was minus 16...
What Spring?
PS. Will a 32 inch Brown trout count?

Jimmy
03-20-2002, 07:53 PM
OK 32 inches works for me. I'm easy.....or was that cheap? (I can't remember what it says on the bathroom wall....);) ;)

Penguin
03-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Jimmy...A rose by anyother name should smell as S W E E T as U!

The winning fish ought to at least have horrizontal stripes...

Dble Haul
03-20-2002, 09:47 PM
Now you fellas up in Mass wouldn't be dragging your feet on a start date for this, would you? I have a couple of friends who went pike fishing with conventional gear in some coves of the lower CT River and caught several frisky stripers on Fin-S lures. There arriving in our area and are getting more and more active.

Let's not have any geographical bias! :p :razz:

Seriously, though, maybe we should have a start date that doesn't give us to the south an unfair advantage. How about April 15? Make sure your taxes are in, then go and hook a striper on the long rod? Although if we're to include the entirety of New England we should probably wait until May when some of the stripers arrive in southern Maine (and after our mild winter, they should be there by then).

Just my 2 cents to get the ball rolling for a start date. :)

Hawkeye
03-20-2002, 10:43 PM
How about a start date of today and have a winner for each state? Of course then we have a multi prize issue or we would need to decide on some kind of a run-off contest.

This way the vagaries of migration speeds and routes will have no effect on the contestants.

striblue
03-20-2002, 11:52 PM
Pete , a 32 inch Brown Trout counts in my book that's for sure...wow! but Pete with you catch here on your vacation you can petition to submit one last year... I have picture I got from Brendan...which I will get to you ..... Jimmy, I seem to remember a pictiure of you attempting...well... that is... holding... I mean it was a striper... I think ... with it's tail.... It's all a blur to me now.

Hawkeye
03-21-2002, 12:16 AM
Just don't let PETA get ahold of that pic. They'll be doubly mad! and who knows what that could lead to!

I'm thinkin we should also keep it away from his wife.:hehe:

Jimmy
03-21-2002, 08:18 AM
Yes, John and Nick, I remember it well. It was the most fun I've had with my cloths on in a long time. Very enjoyable. Why do you think I had one of these, :D , on my face. Later, we both had one of these, :smokin:.;) ;) . But alas, my wife did see it. She walked off shaking her head. Mumbled something about the only tail I'll be seeing for quite some time. I ended up with one of these. :(

Hey Penguin. You are far to kind.:chuckle:

juro
03-21-2002, 10:29 AM
http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/springclave2001/journal/juros/jimmy1.jpg

Jimmy
03-21-2002, 12:16 PM
Thanks Juro!

striblue
03-21-2002, 12:38 PM
Just to be sure no one thinks that Jim was doing something intentional... the truth of the matter was that the fish had slipped out of his hands and was flopping around so in order to get it back he got down and it actually had moved into that position heading toward the water.

Lefty
03-21-2002, 02:25 PM
Oh...that's a fish?

Roop
03-22-2002, 12:31 PM
OK, back to business.

The contest rules are:

1. Striper caught and released in the Atlantic. No upstate rivers.

2. 31" as a compromise, witnessed or photographed.

3. Have to be a contributing forum member.

4. Contest starts April 20th

I am tracking down a worthy prize.

Roop

Dble Haul
03-22-2002, 12:38 PM
Roop, you had me up until point number 1. I was going to catch my fish out of the CT River as it runs just about 3 blocks from my house. There's good access, wadeable flats on the right tides, and it's so convenient!

Guess I'll have to stop being a couch potato and actually get my butt down to the coast to play in this game. :rolleyes:

Roop
03-22-2002, 01:02 PM
Mark,

I have the time & place picked out but I am removed form the contest of course. You are more than welcome to join me.

We'll discuss it this weekend.

Roop