Renzetti travel vise [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Renzetti travel vise

Dble Haul
03-19-2002, 11:24 AM
Gentlemen- Any feedback on the Renzetti travel vise? I saw in a recent thread that Adrian really seemed to like it, and a local shop has them discounted by about 20%. Any additional input would be appreciated.

Also, does it have a cam lock for the jaws? This isn't a deal breaker, but it would be nice.

Thanks!

MattS
03-19-2002, 07:01 PM
I am very happy with my Traveler. I would recommend that you get the cam jaws though. Especially if you are doing much saltwater tying with bigger hooks like size 2 and up. The knurled knob gets a bit small in the hand after awhile and is tuff to tighten up really well. I think a good locking cam jaw would make life at the bench MUCH easier.

Just my $.02
-MS-

stillwater
03-19-2002, 08:54 PM
I have a Renzetti Traveler Vise and it is very nice! I have the older style, which does not have the cam-lock. The True-Rotary vices are nice to have, and this one is easy to operate.
Great Vice!

Bob Munoz
03-20-2002, 09:57 PM
Hi Mark,

I have both the cam and the knob versions of the traveler. It's a great little vise. I've tied everything from small trout flies to big spey flies and it has never let me down. I'd go for the cam version for ease of use and less wear and tear on the fingers when you are tying a bunch of flies. There is also a tube fly head that you can buy separately if you tie them.

Bob

pmflyfisher
03-20-2002, 10:21 PM
Mark,

I am another Renzetti Traveller advocate. Had it since 1994 and it is still ticking with no problems what so ever. Tied up to a 4/0 down to size 16s no problem.

Great product. Go for it.

Hal

Adrian
03-22-2002, 07:45 AM
Mark

I will be bringing mine on Sunday and you can play.

I picked it up at the Somerset NJ show a few years ago from the Fly-Hatch. Its not the cam version , but Fly-Hatch included an extra large machined knob which fits perfectly and makes handling big hooks (I've jammed an 8/0 Trey Combes into this baby) a piece of cake.

fisheze
03-28-2002, 09:44 PM
I've got the Renzetti saltwater version and I love it. I pack it up and take it all over the place. I use it to tie anything from small bonefish flies to tarpon flies. Mine is not the cam version either but I would definitely recommend it.

Angie

striblue
03-28-2002, 09:53 PM
I love the Renzetti vises... I have the Master here at home and the Traveler down at the Cape.. The Cam jaws are the way to go.The Traveler is simple and is well named as the "Traveler".

Dble Haul
08-21-2002, 10:02 AM
Well, months later and I finally picked up the vise last night. I took it for a spin with a bunch of Madame Xs (the fly that is ;) ) and am very impressed. I look forward to tying many flies with it.

As always, thank you all who provided input. I appreciate it.

:)

pmflyfisher
08-21-2002, 10:47 AM
You will not regret it, glad I listened the local fly shop owner who pointed me to the Renzetti Traveler in 1994.

flytyer
08-24-2002, 03:12 PM
The Renzetti Traveler is one of those 'cheaper vises' that I always tell people to take a look at when they think they may want to get a rotary vise. It will provide years of tying satisfaction. I rate it as a best buy for those that don't need the extra features of the Renzetti Mastery or Dyna King Barracuda vises.