Might Have a Chance To Move To Cape Cod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Might Have a Chance To Move To Cape Cod

Nate Bailey
03-18-2002, 02:17 AM
Hello If you Visit the spey board then you already know me , I fist southern oregon and Might be moving to Cape Cod Mass. Im going back into the Coast Guard and The Station Has a billet open there. I was just wandering what the prospects are there for Fly fishing, other then Alaska My gear has never touched salt Water, So I am absolutely Clueless to salt Flyfishing, any Fishing and area Info would be Great....Thanks Nate

juro
03-18-2002, 05:03 AM
To put it mildly... there are definitely some flyfishing opportunities on Cape Cod!

You'll be in very good company with our northeast contingent if you are fortunate enough to get this spot with the CG.

Roop
03-18-2002, 07:25 AM
Look forward to fishing with you if you make it out here Nate.

The Cape has the best access for salt as well as a ton of untouched freshwater options.

Juro,,why don't you put up a picture of a big fish next time? ;)

juro
03-18-2002, 08:20 AM
OK - check out this one from Capt. Ruben...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/boneclave2000/juros/full/dinner.jpg

Nate Bailey
03-18-2002, 01:16 PM
What kind of gear do you use for the stripers? I have two 9wts and 7wts, I also have a couple of speys. do I need a bigger rod. I will find out where Im going in a month or so but it looks like it will be around the cape or maine. Roop You talked about the fresh water fishing, what kinds of fish? water? ect. Is there a good website that I can check out the area. .......Nate

juro
03-18-2002, 03:33 PM
Nate -

You can have faith that if you end up here, you will be in a flyfishing nirvana if you like saltwater gamefish. You will also be near some premier trout fishing in the Catskills, Maine, Western MA, New Hampshire, Vermont, etc.

You already have the right stuff according to your list, just show up and we will take you to the hotspots.

Juro

pmflyfisher
03-18-2002, 08:14 PM
Nate,

Juro is right there is great saltwater fly fishing around the Cape and lots of fresh water trout and smallmouths in the New England states.

I love the Cape Cod area and the Maine coast is picturesque. Many people out west and here in the Mid west do not understand how nice it is in the New England states as they have not gone there. Once they go there, they understand.

You can also get up to the eastern Canadian provinces fairly easy for Atlantic Salmon fly fishing.

For steelhead and salmon though western NY state Lake Ontario tribs. is the closest.

Hal