Fly Fishing Forum banner

I'm pack'in

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  FredA 
#1 ·
Got me a new rod, Sage Model XP 890-4. Never owned a fish'in stick that broke into more than two pieces. Matched to this unit is their Sage 3400D large arbor reel. Got the brakes to stop a horse.

Can rods with multiple pieces stand up to the day to day activity of stripers, bluefish, albies diet?

#2 · (Edited)
Capt Ray...
They sure can...but every time you check your leader you might also check that all those pieces are still properly seated.
The last thing you want to do is watch the tip section slide down your backing while dancing with a bluefish.
If they work their way loose that's also an invitation for a peculiar snapping noise that will be followed by expletive-deletives...
I've had good success with a touch of bee's wax...
That 3400D is SWEET...that's what happens evertime the airline industry lays off engineers!

...and to think there are 7 piece rods and more...
Welcome to the multi-piece-club and ENJOY!

#4 ·
Ray- What I use to help keep my rod's pieces together is some old sail makers wax- the only problem is its hard from age and must be warmed before use; but about twice a season I just run it over the male ends and I haven't had a problem with the pieces coming loose or getting stuck. It also saves the scratches on the ferrules. I found out about this after having a two piece rod get stuck and another snap at the ferrule. Ron

#5 ·
Absent beeswax or sailmakers wax, your own skin does pretty well. Rub the male ferrule across your forehead, or rub your forefinger and thumb alongside the base of your nose, then rub around the ferrule. Smoothes the insertion and seems to keep it tight. (And no, there's no smilie that cover that last line.)

#7 ·
I have little experience but I'll comment on it anyhow. When I was rod shopping last summer I was amazed with the two piece 9 wgt. Backwater. It fit me like a glove and I couldn't seem to throw anything but tight loops (in the flyshop parking lot). I really wanted a 3 or four piece and I was shopping for a 10 wgt. I liked it so much I had the shop order a 3 pc. While the 3 pc was ok it just didn't hit me like the 2 pc. Ended up getting a 10 wgt which had also impressed me but at a couple of $$$$ more.

My uninformed guess is that, in general, whatever the basic design of the rod is built on, 2 pc, 3pc, etc., that will be the optimum configuration for the designers intent. Any other configuration will be a compromise of that intent. Of course that compromise to the designer may be the cats meow a prospective buyer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.