Moving to Saltwater [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Moving to Saltwater

Redleg
03-15-2002, 09:35 AM
Hi, everybody!

I will be moving to Chesapeake VA this summer and making the move from small trout waters to saltwater. Can anybody give me some ideas on an "ideal" saltwater set-up for that part of the world.

I've been F-fishing for 20 years, all of it on fresh water. So, I have no idea what I am getting myself into or even how to fish for saltwater gamefish. I presume that I'll be fishing from jetties or the beach.

Any info you can give on rod (length & weight), reel, line (weight and taper), etc would be greatly appreciated.

:D

Lefty
03-15-2002, 09:50 AM
Can't speak specifically for Va. But here in the northeast a 9 wt. rod is the best all around to use. Many people fish 8 wts. and a few bring out the 7 wts. for schoolies. What I did was start with a cheap Pflueger 9/10 wt. for about $90. I was not sure I was going to get into the salt. But I'll guess it will turn out that if you live near the ocean you WILL prefer it. You can get a decent 8 or 9 wt. for $150 too. Look at Temple Forks rods. For the money they cast great. The best all around line is the Intermediate sink rate. You can get the fly down in deeper water by counting to 10 or 20 etc. Or you can quickly retreive and keep it near the surface. Later you may find that you need a fast sink line to get down in the stiff current. Shooting heads are great for that too.
Also in the northeast, stripping baskets are a must. You can not mend the line enough in the surf or tidal current. You will be constantly tangled in your own boots or wrapped around jetty rocks. Buy a $4.00 rubbermaid tub and fasten a nylon belt to it. Good luck and fire away with more questions.

Lefty

juro
03-15-2002, 10:22 AM
Redleg -

That's quite a move! I've been there, done that. You'll be one of the lucky guys who get to fish stripers in the middle of the winter while those further north (like me) freeze.

Been to VA several times, very nice. I can't get enough of those Chesapeake crab cakes :)

Lefty's advice is right on. If you're gonna get one, get a 9wt setup. Welcome to the fraternity of the striped bass.

Adrian
03-15-2002, 10:35 AM
Welcome aboard!

I spent the millenium celebs. down on the OBX and I had a serious case of goosebumps going over the 'Chessie' bridge/tunnel. The tidewater region is vast with a capital "V" and as Juro says, you can have fun all year round.

Dble Haul
03-15-2002, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the world of the brine! Waring: once you hook a striper on a fly, you may never look at a trout the same way again. ;) This is not to say that trout fishing will lose its charm; rather, the difference in strength of an ocean fish vs. a small stream or river fish is pretty substantial.

Capt. Gordon is a forum member who might be able to give you some more info about Virginia's coast. He's located in North Carolina and is another fortunate soul who gets to fish year round.

Good luck and have fun.