Longboat Key, FLA [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Longboat Key, FLA

MarkDoogue
03-13-2002, 09:46 PM
Work will have me in Longboat Key, Florida at the end of April. It's a spit of land with Sarasota Bay on the inside and the Gulf on the outer edge. I'm south of Tampa, right off the coast from Sarasota.

Any local knowledge out there? Do I bring a rod stuffed in the golf bag or not? What would I be stalking?

I'd like to hedge my bets. If it rains golf is less attractive, but, fishing would be fine.

~Mark

striblue
03-13-2002, 10:05 PM
Mark... I love Golf and play locally here... but my advice is forget golf... you can play up here by that time of year... take advantage of the fishing on sunny or rainy days... just my opinion.

Capt. Mel Simpson
03-14-2002, 09:22 PM
Mark, you need to bring your rod, an 8wt with a floating line will work just fine. There are no fly shops in the area and I'm too far north to really help you.
I fish the outside (Gulf side) of Longboat and up and around Anna Maria for tarpon in July. There are some very good areas on the inside of the island (backcountry) but you will need a boat or a guide and I just don't know one I would recomend. You can walk the beaches early in the morning, at daylight, for snook, permit, pompano, and jacks, but you have to beat the people who walk and look for shells so go early.
I'll be tarpon fishing up at Homosassa during that time but if you need any other info while you are here contact the Saltwater Flyfisherman in Clearwater 727-443-5000, an awsome fly shop.
If there is anything else I can help with let me know, Mel