Not good news. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Not good news.

fredaevans
03-12-2002, 07:31 PM
First and foremost I'd like to acknowledge the tons of e mails and posts wishing Joan and I well with our respective Mothers.

Joan's Mother Eva passed on in Peace, and with Dignity, this afternoon.

Fred

striblue
03-12-2002, 08:05 PM
I am sorry to hear that Fred...My sympathy goes out to her and you and your families.

Hawkeye
03-12-2002, 08:34 PM
My most heartfelt condolences and a wish that your grief may be well acompanied by fond memories of more joyful times.

Peace and strength to you and your family.

Gregg Estey

fredaevans
03-12-2002, 08:58 PM
I'm not in a 'good place' and you're realy helping.
fe

having a hell of a time getting a grip; think I'll get sh*t-faced to cope. Loved her dearly, a great gal.

Adrian
03-12-2002, 09:01 PM
Fred, our deepest condolences.

John Desjardins
03-12-2002, 09:27 PM
Fred, I'm sorry to hear about Joans mother. At times like these I always feel that words can not express what I want to say. Please accept my deepest condolences.

NrthFrk16
03-12-2002, 10:05 PM
Fred-
I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

lastcaststeve
03-12-2002, 10:19 PM
Dear Fred,

I lost my dad and closest fishing partner a year and half ago...and still deeply miss him, and quite often find myself asking his advice ..he always had such special names for my spey casts..like the "stupid steve cast", or the "Bucket Cast" he so elegantly described as placing a bucket out in the middle of the river that i would elegantly dump my entire fly line into!....My prayers are with you and Joan....My deepest condolances also....wish i could be there to share in the single malt....Wont make it hurt any less, but friends can help soften the blow....

Steve

fredaevans
03-12-2002, 10:37 PM
tough to see through the tears.
Thank you all.
fe

Jere Eshelman
03-12-2002, 10:50 PM
Fred and Joan,

I am certain that all of us share in your sorrow.

It is at times like these that we all reflect upon the loss of LOVED

ONES and find PEACE.

May the joy of her life lead to your PEACE.

Sincerely, Jere

fisshman26
03-12-2002, 11:14 PM
Dear Fred, My heartfelt condolences goes out to you and yours at this time and I hope that comfort comes quickly for you both.

Dble Haul
03-13-2002, 08:13 AM
Fred- My condolences, and I hope that you and your wife find peace and acceptance soon.

DFix
03-13-2002, 09:48 AM
Please accept my most sincere condolences and heartfelt sympathies. I am reminded of my mother in law and parents' passing into peace. Know you have our support.

ssully
03-13-2002, 11:27 AM
Sorry to hear that Fred.

May God Bless.

joecurr
03-13-2002, 03:25 PM
Fred

Words seldom express what is in our heart and mind; my thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.

Joe Currier

Willie Gunn
03-13-2002, 05:06 PM
Fred.
Our deepest sympathy to yourself , Joan and respective famillies.
I find it difficult to express true feelings.

Malcolm & familly

Tod D
03-13-2002, 07:20 PM
Fred
So sorry to hear the news. Thoughts & prayers are with you & your family.
Tod

fredaevans
03-13-2002, 09:18 PM
this has been the longest 10 days in my life. Joan and I are very short on how to express our appreation for your kind words. And most importantly, the 'hugs.' The arms are supporting us right now.
fe/je

MarkDoogue
03-13-2002, 09:42 PM
Fred,

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Judging from the profound sadness in your posts, she must have been an incredible person. All the best to you and your family.

~Mark

Jimmy
03-13-2002, 09:56 PM
Fred,
I'm sorry for your loss. You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.

longhackle
03-13-2002, 11:41 PM
My heartfelt condolences (which words can't really express) to Joan and you during this difficult time.

juro
03-14-2002, 06:29 AM
I recall a cool misty morning at the lodge in Quebec, we were leaving camp that day and my mother woke me and my sister for a dawn boat ride. It was one of those trips where as a small child I was learning about just how hard fishing could be.
All week long the men worked the water to a froth for a brookie here, a smallmouth there while my mother listened to the fish stories with a mirthful smirk at dinner.

My mom liked to take the boat out by herself to row around, but this last day with the fogginess still in my head, mom pushed the rowboat out and we began a mysterious voyage across the basin to an area shielded by willows reaching to the water, winding into a tributary outlet that was literally crowded with native canadian brookies in what she believed were in a prespawn gathering! I hung over the gunwhale yelling "get Dad!" and "why didn't we bring a rod?", etc - to which my mom calmed me down and said "these fish are not for catching". After how hard we had been working for a couple of trout all week, it took the whole ride home and a few years later to understand the importance of that message. I now look at that moment as one of the most important in my angling life.

My dad was a fish vacuum and every trip with him was about reading water, even in ponds. I remember a bass I caught that required a plug to be cast into a large hollowed out stump crater shaped like a horseshoe. Dad kept saying "there's a fish IN there, try again". Finally when I put the plug at the opening of the "C" shaped half sunken tree stump >WHAM< just as he advised.

Recently, since my dad has passed away, my mother and I had a great fishing moment at Horseshoe above the Gorge on the Green. I had moved to Boston from Seattle and the two of us had flown out west together to visit my brother in Portland OR. We stopped at Palmer Kanasket and walked down to the river, in the full greens and glory of late summer. Peeking into the rock garden there were a few fat summer fish in the 7-12 pound class melted into the rocks right in front of where my mom sat down to enjoy the scenery.

I walked upstream to get a good swing and asked "do you see the fish?". She said "no". I said "how about the fly?". She strained her eyes to see, and said "nothing".

I stripped in the fly, switched to a skunk. Cast, mend, swing - how about now? "I see a little white fly, but no fish". The fish was directly beneath and just down river in about 5-6 feet of water among the boulders. I began to describe it's location and camoflaged appearance when it suddenly broke from it's holding lie and surged upward to take the fly, right in front of my mother not 6 feet away!

I thought she was going to fall off the rock... "I SEE IT, I SEE IT!" as the drag started to scream and the fish tore the pool to shreds. I was just simply too blown away by the whole thing that the fish threw the hook, and I looked over at my mom who had that smile of youthful joy that she gets.

Couldn't top that moment, so I reeled up and we walked back to the parking lot to head to Portland. After a lifetime of being told I should get serious and fish less often, she said she understood my addiction. We still talk about that when we get together.

My mom and I really miss dad, my truest angling mentor, my AJ McClane in flesh and blood (even had the same haircut and pipe as him); and her life partner, friend and love. However painful, I hope we will always look upon the miracle of having lived and shared our lives as the important thing, and the passing of our bodies from this world as less important than the advancement of our souls into the next.

My most sincere sympathies for you and Joan, and I hope with time you find some comfort in thoughts of the magic times you got to share.