Conn Clave Anyone? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Conn Clave Anyone?

Quentin
03-12-2002, 08:32 AM
I've been thinking . . . (uh oh!)

Most of the Forum events have taken place in Cape Cod and Rhode Island, and those of you who call those areas your "home waters" have generously volunteered your time and knowledge to make those events a success. I would like to return the favor, but my home waters don't hold many fish that would put a bend in your 9 weights. However, I am pretty familiar with the area around the mouth of the Connecticut River and many of you may not have fished that area before.

Here's my idea: A one-day (or more?) boating and/or wading trip in the Old Saybrook/Old Lyme area, probably in late May or early June. There is a cartopper boat launch right near the junction of the Lieutenant River and CT River, and there is a larger boat ramp just up the river (under the Rte 95 bridge). There is also a place right on the river that rents boats with 9 hp motors. No fishing license is required if you fish south of the Rte 95 bridge. You can fish the CT river from the I-95 bridge to the Sound, or you can venture into the Lieutenant River and the channels behind Great Island to fish in more sheltered waters. If it is not a good day for boating there are plenty of places to fish from shore in that area or on the beaches nearby. With a quick shuttle across the Lieutenant River you can access some prime CT River shoreline. There is a place to wade on the Old Saybrook side of the river as well, and the causeway across South Cove can be good at times. Hammonasset Beach is just a few miles to the west if people prefer to fish the surf, and there is camping at Hammonasset State Park if people want to stay overnight.

Any interest? Even if we don't make this an official "clave" I am planning to do this anyway and you are welcome to join me.

Q

Adrian
03-12-2002, 08:50 AM
Quentin

Count me in as a definite - just let me know when and I'll be there. Since I'm just down the road (I95), I'm really looking forward to checking that area out along with the rest of our (CT) coastline this season.

Dble Haul
03-12-2002, 09:33 AM
This one's an easy answer for me.......yes!

Since this will only be my third season of living in CT and second season of fishing its coast, I'll gladly jump in. I'm quite familiar with the mouth of the river around Old Saybrook and across at the Lieutenant River, and also over in Niantic. I see this as an opportunity to solidify my knowledge of the area, particularly for spots to wade and fish.

Quentin, if you're looking for someone to help you to meister this event, just say the word. But you should know that Memorial Day weekend is my one year anniversary, and my wife has me during that time. :D

John Desjardins
03-12-2002, 10:26 AM
As one who is a former nutmeg state resident, I'm interested. I can't say that I know a much about the shoreline though. I spent far more time on the Farmington than on the shore line.

With regards to licenses isn't there a weekend in June where no licenses are required? Or am I thinking of New Hampshire.

Quentin
03-13-2002, 10:59 AM
Great! I hoped that I'd get affirmative responses from the Connecticut contingent. Wasn't sure how many other people would be interested in going, especially because the fishing is so good in eastern Mass and RI at that time of year.

Mark, thanks for the offer, although I'm not sure how much "meistering" will be necessary. I guess the amount of planning required depends on how many people end up going and whether we want to camp. If it's just a few of us and we're not camping, then we really only need to decide when and where to meet.

Lets see if we can pick a date. Memorial Day weekend and Father's Day weekend are out. That leaves the weekends of May 18/19, June 1/2, and June 8/9. Which (if any) of these dates are good for you? Do you want to do a one-day trip or camp overnight? Maybe pick a Saturday with an option to stay overnight if the weather and fishing are good? I doubt we would need reservations at that time of year.

I'm not sure what the tides are like on those days. It doesn't really matter since there are places to fish at all stages of the tide, but given my choice I would pick a day with a pre-dawn high.

John, we won't need licenses to fish the places that I have in mind, but you are right that CT has a free fishing weekend (or maybe one day) sometime in June. I may get a CT license anyway so that I can fish in Enfield. That's only an hour and 15 minute drive from my house!

Q

Dble Haul
03-13-2002, 12:20 PM
Here's tides for the afore-mentioned weekends:

May 18- H 3:36, L 10:10, H 16:26, L 22:24
May 19- H 4:38, L 11:08, H 17:28, L 23:33

June 1- H 3:46, L 10:17, H 16:38, L 22:36
June 2- H 4:41, L 11:08, H 17:32, L 23:36

June 8- L 3:49, H 9:45, L 15:34, H 21:59
June 9- L 4:30, H 10:27, L 16:13, H 22:37

All times are in Daylight Savings. The first two weekends are essentially carbon copies of each other with respect to the tides and have the predawn highs that Quentin spoke of. But the last weekend has predawn lows that could be promising in other spots. Let's just see what weekends are best for everyone and then plan our attack. :devil:

Adrian
03-13-2002, 01:36 PM
Any of those will work for me - just say the word!

Wow, the fishing appointments diary is starting to get quite full already :D

shadfreak
03-13-2002, 08:01 PM
Quentin
Since the Mouth of the Conn is almost an hour closer to my house then the Cape I would love to learn much more about the fishing there. I would love to attend.
Larry

Jimmy
03-13-2002, 10:04 PM
Sounds great to me. I don't know too much about that end of the state so it will be good to learn. I'll do what I can from my end. As far as the dates are concerned, they all look good to me. I'll figure out the work and family thing later.

FishHawk
03-14-2002, 05:08 AM
I fish Conn. for trout and would like to get to know the saltwater fishing . Count me in if nothing is happening up here.
FishHawk:smokin:

FishHawk
03-14-2002, 05:12 AM
Sorry clicked wrong first icon should have been:D
FishHawk

Dble Haul
03-14-2002, 09:45 AM
Guys- I talked with my better half last night and found out that my sister-in-law is graduating from college on the weekend of May 18/19. There will be parties to go to all weekend long up in NH, so those two days are out for me.

The two weekends in June are fine. There's nothing going on there, so I can do either one of those if it works out for the majority.

Quentin
04-04-2002, 07:44 AM
OK, it's been a couple of weeks. Looks like our group so far includes:

Dble Haul
FishHawk
Jimmy
Shadfreak
Adrian
John Desjardins
Myself

I apologize if I missed anyone.

Possible dates are the weekends of June 1 & 2 (pre-dawn high tide) and June 8 & 9 (pre-dawn low tide). I say the sooner the better. If the first weekend is a washout or if the fish don't cooperate then there's always the next weekend.

I'm also waiting for feedback on whether we should make this a day trip or an overnight. If nobody wants to commit to an overnight then I would suggest we plan for June 1 so that we have the option of staying overnight if we want. I'm guessing that we would not need to make campsite reservations at that time of year, but I will check with the campsite to confirm this.

Finally, how many of you will be bringing watercraft? My boat is a little too small for the main river. If it looks like it will be a good day for boating then I will probably plan to rent a boat. If not, then I may bring my boat so that I can fish the backwater areas.

Q

Dble Haul
04-05-2002, 08:39 AM
Quentin- I agree with you, the sooner the better. :)

As far as camping out goes, I'm all for that if others are. And for boating, I believe (actually I know) that my jon boat is too small for the main river. I don't mind doing some shore fishing, it would give me an opportunity to get to know the lay of the land better down there and introduce me to some more access. But I don't mind boats either.

I guess I'm in a pretty agreeable and accommodating mood today. :D

John Desjardins
04-05-2002, 09:10 AM
I'd say that the earlier weekend will probably work better for me. I'll probably drive down in the early am rather than camping out. Either the shore or boats sound good to me. If it is the boats do we need to reserve them?

Striper
04-05-2002, 11:28 PM
Quentin,
You can count me in as well and I am sure that Adrian will be more than happy to accompany me on my new Triton. He and I met at the Newport Saltwater Edge Show and I promised him he could come along with me chasing the finny critters. Adrian are you back from the Islands yet? Let me know when you get back as it's time to prowl the Housie buddy. Let me know Quentin when the date(s) are and I will let you know if it is open for me or not. I could possibly take one more person on the date you choose.

Mike

Lefty
04-06-2002, 09:12 AM
Mike,
What's a Triton? You got a craft?

Lefty

fliboy
04-07-2002, 05:50 PM
I'd be interested in an early Spring trip to CT. Quentin - you still putting a mini-clave together.

Hey Art B. - if you're out there - anything going on down in "your neck of the woods"? I'm itching to do a little fly-flippin!

TL,

Dave

juro
04-07-2002, 07:18 PM
Long time no hear Dave! Hope things are well. Could you pls send those waders I lent to SteveL? They fold up real small.

Mail to:

Flyfishing Forum
PO box 58
Groton MA 01450

Thanks!

fliboy
04-08-2002, 04:36 AM
Hi Juro - sure thing. I had intended to hit some of the shows and give them to you at one of them, but have been too busy with work. I'll package them up and get them to ya.

Dave

juro
04-08-2002, 07:05 AM
Thanks Dave!

Looking forward to 'hooking up' with you and Brett when the stripers arrive.

Adrian
04-10-2002, 09:46 PM
Mike (Striper) - yup I'm back and itching to get back to the Housy - probably this week-end for an early morning wade on the outgoing at Devon - weather looks very promissing and water temps are rising nicely.

I've also seen some reports that things are starting to warm up on the CT river - anyone else getting any action up there yet? Really looking forward to paddling Griswold point this season.

Jimmy
04-11-2002, 08:57 PM
The first weekend works best for me. But if that doesn't work out, I'll figure out a way to make the second.:)

Quentin
04-29-2002, 12:24 PM
OK, looks like it's June 1st (and 2nd if anyone camps overnight or if Saturday is a washout). I may even go down on Friday night if the weather is good. I sent a PM to those of you who indicated that you may attend. If I missed you let me know. If anyone else would like to attend please let me know and I will add you to the list.

NOTE: Further updates will be by Private Message only so check your messages!

Q

steelheadmike
04-29-2002, 02:14 PM
Quentin,

Unfortunately I will be on the Cape the first week of June. Hopefully I will get the chance to meet up with all of you another time.

Quentin
04-29-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by steelheadmike
Quentin,

Unfortunately I will be on the Cape the first week of June. Hopefully I will get the chance to meet up with all of you another time.

"Unfortunately"??? You make it sound like being on the Cape is a *bad* thing :D

Smcdermott
04-29-2002, 08:23 PM
Quentin,
Can you include me on the PMs?
I don't know that I will be able to sneak away from the girlfriend since I have made plans to fish about every weekend between now and then. However, she lives in New London so getting away for a few hours may not be impossible.
Hope I can get away and meet everyone.

Sean

Dble Haul
05-02-2002, 08:57 PM
Q- If you're having trouble clearing your private messages, try this. If your message box shows no messages, drop the pull down menu to reflect messages from more than just a few days back. When I pulled mine down recently to empty my box, I selected for the past 100 days, and there were all of my outgoing messages. I was able to select each one that I wanted to delete, and was able to do same for my inbox.

If you don't see any messages in your box, but the ID bar at the bottom of the main FlyTalk page tells you that you have many, this is probably the reason. Hope this helps.

John Desjardins
05-02-2002, 09:07 PM
Q, I don't know how much memory it takes but you can clean out the message tracking in a similiar way.

Quentin
05-02-2002, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys, I finally figured that out. I did check those folders before, but there was nothing there! DOH! All the items were older than the default setting and when I finally noticed that and changed the setting I was able to delete them. :chuckle:
Q