Sauk River Warning [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sauk River Warning

sinktip
03-11-2002, 04:37 PM
Fished the Sauk yesterday from Suiattle Br. to what was supposed to be the Hippie Hole. Instead as we headed into the Hippie before first light to drop a pick-up off, we found the road barred by 4-6 freshly dropped trees. After some cussing, we opted for the Native Hole takeout instead. Our badluck wasn't over though as we next found the Suiattle Br. launch road also blocked by a freshly dropped tree. This one you can get around with a 4WD but certainly not pulling a trailer.

Not sure who is doing it but it certainly sucks. Talked to a couple of boaters that warned that people were finding their boat trailer hubs packed with sand as well. Somebody apparently is not happy about the C & R season.

pmflyfisher
03-11-2002, 07:14 PM
Boy I thought we had problems to deal with at times but nothing like that. Need to carry a chain saw with you and extra boat trailer wheels.

Sounds like local non catch and release fishermen are not to happy out there.

Never had to deal with anything like that on east coast or great lakes rivers.

Good luck.

chromer
03-11-2002, 07:33 PM
That's right, it takes a "real" native fish from the north cascades, olympic range, or columbia drainage to make a man that crazy.

Meaning no disrespect pm - two can play the game. Let's not turn every thread into great lakes vs northwest please!

Anyway, Sinktip thanks for the warning. I'll avoid those accesses. I was thinkin' it just migt be PETA, fishermen messing up fishermen because they can't keep a fish doesn't make sense to me.

Jay

KerryS
03-11-2002, 08:17 PM
There is no argument. The only true steelhead goes to the salt. Period.

There has been trouble before on the upper Skagit and the Sauk. Before it seemed more like plain vandals. I am not sure now. Could be PETA but, I would guess pissed off poachers. Last year they had the river all to themselves. This year, all kinds of people up there.

skookum
03-12-2002, 03:26 AM
Hey, thanks for the warning. I have one question: Were the downed trees sawed off at the base, or broken? Just curious, as we've had high winds the last few days, and on an optimistic note, I was thinking maybe they blew over. But then, I guess you would have seen downed trees all over. And I doubt it blew hard enough to pack sand into trailer bearings! Anyway, I'm hoping there's some chance it was the wind and not angry people.

On a side note, wouldn't it be funny if it was PETA--I mean, killing trees to save the fish. Now that's irony. Not funny, but ironic.

Thanks again,

Skookum

sinktip
03-12-2002, 10:37 AM
No such luck on the blowdowns. They were all freshly sawed and all aimed directly across the road. The one at the Suiattle Bridge was a good 18" diameter and was cut off 4' above the ground.

Preston
03-12-2002, 12:06 PM
I would suspect that we're dealing here with some of the more toothless, knuckle-dragging, shallow-end-of-the-gene-pool, members of a well known steelhead bonking club, most of whose members live near those waters.

Doublespey
03-12-2002, 12:21 PM
I agree - probably the locals.

But are they Wild?? probably

Native? probably not.

But do they return to the Salt after they spawn?? :devil:

Don't I wish!!! :D

TIC,

DS

KerryS
03-12-2002, 01:10 PM
Not the wildcatters???? Preston, surely you are mistaken.

kush
03-12-2002, 11:31 PM
Probably the Wildcutters!