Shad on the Roanoke River, NC [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shad on the Roanoke River, NC

capt_gordon
03-05-2002, 07:00 PM
Floated the Roanoke today in the raft from Gaston to Weldon. Didn't see many shad above the falls at Weldon, a few below. Caught a bass on a shad fly. Things are starting to happen. Should be good by this weekend.

pmflyfisher
03-05-2002, 09:30 PM
Quit talking about warm weather shad runs in NC, one would think spring was almost here, while we are still ice locked in the Mid west with a foot of snow.

But the steelhead fishing is now becoming prime time if you can take the cold for the next 5-6 weeks.

How big are the shad down there in NC ?

Was getting into them on the Delaware in NJ and NY on the fly when I got transferred to Chicago area 23 years ago.

Hal

:tsk_tsk:

P.S. A golf and shad FF trip to NC sounds good right about now.

capt_gordon
03-05-2002, 09:58 PM
It wouldn't kill you. It's about a three 1/2 hour drive down to Pinehurst from Roanoke Rapids and there are about three dozen great golf courses in the Triangle area of Raleigh/Durham too, that's only 1 1/2 hrs from the Roanoke. You can fly into Raleigh, fish the Roanoke and be back in town that same night and go golfing the next day. If you want me to I can even get you a tee time at one or two of the really nice courses around. :-) (Seriously I will if you want me too!!)

pmflyfisher
03-05-2002, 10:14 PM
Gordon,

Actually I have work friend who just moved to Pinehurst for golf. She has invited me down to visit when ever I can. Sounds tempting. You did not answer the question, how big are the shad and how large is the run (new question) ?

Great area NC and SC have spent time down there on business over the years. Columbia & Greenville, SC Greensborough & Charlotte, NC etc..

Hal

capt_gordon
03-06-2002, 07:49 AM
The shad are usually between 15 and 22 inches with occasional bigger ones. Great fun on a 5 or 6 wt rod, tough to go much lighter because you need a sink tip line a lot of the time. The run is huge. The Roanoke is a very prolific river. It has the best water quality of any river in the state, which is remarkable considering what it has been through and continues to put up with. Truly a great American River.

pmflyfisher
03-06-2002, 07:47 PM
Gordon,

Sounds like great sport on light fly rods. Shad are underrated fish, poor mans salmon I think is the word used occasionally. Wish we had them in the midwest. Oh well will have to settle for the steelhead, salmon, trout, and smallmouths out here.

Hal

Adrian
03-06-2002, 11:13 PM
I've heard them called poor mans Tarpon. I was lucky enough to encounter a few last season and was very impressed - lots of acrobatics and very willing to hit a small clouser. I'll be looking for them this season!

capt_gordon
03-07-2002, 12:21 AM
Shad fishing ain't nothin but fun!!