State fishing czar vows to battle new federal plan [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: State fishing czar vows to battle new federal plan

Lefty
03-05-2002, 11:20 AM
http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/fish03052002.htm

Roop
03-05-2002, 12:42 PM
What was the general response a year ago?
"This will never happen in my backyard."

Maybe people will finally wake up, take interest & get involved in pro-active not reactive fisheries management!!

DFix
03-05-2002, 02:48 PM
It isn't Massachusetts' jurisdiction. It's a Federal mandate to NMFS to abide by past orders. Eric Lund, Ph.D, gives a far better explanation on FFSW BB

Lefty
03-05-2002, 03:09 PM
So the Feds are wrong for trying to save the groundfish from further collapse? The comms did themselves in. I guess it comes down to who's data you want to believe. Personally I trust peer reviewed science over commercially interested parties. But I have no idea who the "scientists" are in this case. Maybe they have been politicised by the dept. of commerce. Maybe not. But from my expirience of working at the right hand of research scientist daily, I witness rigorous standards of ethics. If the marine biologists who do this work are of the same caliber my trust is with them.

Lefty

Roop
03-05-2002, 03:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but, don't the feds work for you & me?

I guess most people would rather just roll over and let whoever has the most money invested in the decision win.