Anyone Read This Book... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Anyone Read This Book...

NrthFrk16
03-05-2002, 02:32 AM
Mist on the River: Angler's Quest for Steelhead (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1810182321)

Was curious if anyone has picked up this book and read it...any reviews??

Thanks!

skookum
03-05-2002, 03:05 AM
Yeah, just got it a couple weeks ago. It's not bad--an interesting diary-style account of a trip to the Skeena country courtesy of some connections made as a "correspondent" for Fish & Fly magazine. Some nice descriptions of some familiar faces and places if you've spent much time up there, but not really great literature. I'd give it a "B." I will be curious to see what others think. Have you read it yet?

Skookum

Poul
03-05-2002, 10:11 PM
I enjoyed this book. I thought Checchio's prologue was particularly good, and the first two chapters showed promise. Unfortunately, once he arrived in steelhead paradise the book turned into not too much more than a fishing diary. Still, it's nice to read the work of an author who obviously cares for the resource and is unpretentious about his angling abilities. Checchio seems like someone I wouldn't mind sharing a run (or rum?) with.

All in all, a pretty good depiction of what fishing the Skeena country is like these days.

Poul

Doublespey
03-06-2002, 12:34 PM
Nice visuals and descriptions of the environment and experience of flyfishing for steelhead on both "home" water ( the Smith and other California rivers) and destination waters (BC's finest).

His highs and lows are familiar to all those who have tread the paths he follows. Rivers blown out, the frustration of finding a fine run only to have it occupied by the time you're outfitted to fish, getting up in the wee hours, the camaraderie with other steelhead flyfishers from around the globe, eating in strange coffeeshops, etc etc.

What I found less enjoyable were his periodic deviations to explain/justify his own personal philosophy on life (pessimistic is an understatement).

I ride the bus each morning to work, and this was the perfect fodder for the 45 minute ride. Off to the Copper for a quick run or two with Michael, but easy to put down when the ride's over.

I'd give it a C+ - acceptably entertaining but nothing special.

DS