39 1/2 inch Native Buck [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 39 1/2 inch Native Buck

ChucknDuck
03-04-2002, 10:01 PM
Fished the upper Satsop this AM on my way to school. I had no luck, but only fished one quick spot. However, on the way back down the river I noticed a fellow on a gravel bar fairly close to the road with a fish on. Since I was late already, I pulled over to watch the tussel. 15 minutes later (he was using a gear rod), he carefully unhooked the fish in a slow eddy off the bar, while keeping hold of the tail. He proceeded to pull out a tape measure, pull out an impressive length of tape, quickly set it down by the fish, pull out his camera and snap a picture, before reccesitating the fish. I got a good look at it when he picked it up a placed it back in a little faster water. It was by far the biggest fish I had seen this year, a beautifull buck with a faint red strip down the body and the hint of a hooked nose...made me shiver just looking at it. Anyhow, after the fish was released (he seemed to take good care of the fish) I asked him the length. He replied it was 39 1/2 inches.

He was most proud of the fact he caught it "on a fly". Looked like he was dragging a cerise leachy looking thing behind about 6 inches of pencil lead. Oh well, to each thier own...makes membership in Ryan's "Indicators Anonymous" not look so bad after seeing that. :eyecrazy:

Looks like I'll have to go back tommorrow afternoon, ditch the indicator, dust off the "real" flies and actually swing a few since the water looks very condusive to that. Haven't fished this river that much, but if the pressure is down it looks somewhat hospitible. I've avoided it mainly because of the popularity and large crowds, but that fish started my motor humming!

NrthFrk16
03-05-2002, 03:33 AM
CnD-
Alot of folks make homemade versions of the popular Renny Mason Aeroflies...it could have been something along those lines.

BTW-
Drifting flies is a favored technique of mine up at crowded terminal like Reiter Ponds on the Sky during the Summer. Bob Arnold's Spade is deadly when fished with about 7' of leader with the tiniest amount of pencil lead. :devil:

A few summers back, Reiter was stuffed with fish and we were experiencing our typical super low August flows. A buddy showed me a technique that he was schooling everyone else on. It involved taking about a 1" piece of purple rabbit and threading down a 7' leader ontop of the tiniest red bead using a size 6 red Gamma. I remember one Saturday morning, I walked in and hooked 6 in a couple hours of fishing...damn that was fun!! :)

juro
03-05-2002, 07:07 AM
Ryan -

Success in one method does not mean the lack of success with another - on similar August days at Reiter I've hooked three and landed two summer fish in about 5 casts on a riffle hitched waking caddis among dozens of gear guys. One gear guy hooked up that morning out of the crowd. Summertime is the right time for greaselining if you ask me. (you knew a sermon was coming! :D)

NrthFrk16
03-06-2002, 12:28 AM
Well between sinktip's fatherly lectures about my behavior and your sermons regarding fishing...I might become quiet distinctive gentlemen one of these days. :D

...or maybe not! :devil: :chuckle: