Fly Fishing Forum banner

John boats

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
I'm looking for input from anyone out there who might have advice for me. I've decided to pursue the purchase of a john boat instead of a kayak this year so that my wife and I can go out together in a stable craft. She has a real aversion to tippy water craft such as kayaks and canoes, so I'm thinking that this might be the way to go for us. I've explained the wide transom canoe and tribalance yaks to her, but she's still not comfortable with those ideas. The boat would be used on ponds and backwater sloughs of rivers.

So, any input, negative or positive? Or have I overlooked another possibility? Please keep in mind that I'd rather not break the bank with the purchase. :)

#2 ·
I used a John boat for several years. Used it on the Bow river, and on lakes with a Minn-Kota trolling motor.
Some learnings.....
Get one with high gunnels, it is a real danger when the winds whip up any kind of waves.
The longer "rake" is the best design. Short rakes make the boat bounce too much
Get long oars, it's easier to steer, they (JB's) typically do not track well and do not cut waves very well
Get a front & rear anchor and anchor lock mechanism with a quick release, to keep the platform steady and unlock quickly if driting with the anchor dragging
Make yourself some rod holders with PVC tubing and attach this to the inside of the gunnels, sure saves a lot of rod tips & scratches

#3 ·
I've got an 11 ft'er

Mark, using my yak, and getting a powerboat. I hav an 11ft jon boat with a trolling motor and oars. I'll let go for a good price. the motor has never been used. email me if interested at tomdunlap@attbi.com I used it for duck hunting so it is painted camo. Tom D
p.s. I'll throw in the sears 3 and 1/2 hp motor, haven't run it in a few years, but it was good back then.

#5 ·
Hi Mark,

My father has been looking at aluminum type Jon and fishing boats for over a year. He finally settled for a Sea Ark. A jon style boat with a V front end primarily for the intercoastal bays of florida. He is just finishing up putting all the fishing customizations on himself and seems very pleased with what he has. You can check out their products online at "http://www.seaark.com/"

Good luck in your quest for a new boat.

Greg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.