Fly Fishing Forum banner

Quabin REsovoir

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
FWIW, last night I saw a documentary called "Under the Quabbin". It showed underwater footage taken by the Ma. State Police Divers diving amongst the remains of the flooded villages. You wouldn't believe some of the Smallmouth that swam by! QUABIN CLAVE!!!
Anyone know the particulars of boat rentals, shore access?

Lefty

#2 ·
Here are a couple of links re: Quabbin. I didn't explore the sites, but there is a notice in the Alta Vista search results that says Quabbin is closed until further notice due to security concerns :(

http://centralquabbinarea.org/quabbin

http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dfw/dfw_quabbin.htm

I'm not surprised that the underwater shots showed some monster smallies. The Fisherman magazine often has reports of massive catches of smallmouths when they are in prespawn and spawning phases. I've read reports of anglers catching 50 or more fish per day, with average sizes in the 2 - 4 lb range. (I didn't have any such luck, but did manage to get a few). There is also a healthy population of landlocked salmon and lake trout, although I believe the average size is under 20".

Q

#3 ·
Thanks Quentin,

Just read the Mass. regs on the Quabin. I thought there was a 10hp limit on outboards. Turns out you can have 1/2 the boats hp rating up to 20 HP. So I can blast out there with my 15 Hp. I realize it's big water too. Could be a nice trip in late May.

Lefty

#5 ·
Lefty,

Although it is "big water", there are 2 boat launching areas on the north end of the reservoir where there are smaller coves and islands that provide shelter under most wind conditions.
Q

#7 ·
I have quite a bit of Quabbin bronzeback experience from the days fishin' with my good buddy Brian Maraschiello. He's no longer with us, but fishes with me always in spirit.

We used to launch at Gate #8 for salmonids and Gate #42 for smallies. Our plan was to hit the warmwater fish on the way out to the narrows where lakers and salmon were supposed to be concentrated.

Of all the times we launched out of Gate #42 only once did we ever get past the warmer turbid waters where there are probably more smallmouth per square mile than anywhere else I've ever fished, even more than Winnepesaukee where we averaged 40 fish per angler in a weekend and some pushing 5 pounds. Average size in Quabbin was not as large as the Winni fish but abundance was incredible and there were a few good ones in the mix to boot.

Two methods worked for us - one was to wind drift over shoals, loaded with bass. The other was to work the shoreline, more fun but the fishing was better in morning and evening along the shore and better in open water during the day.

Use a sinking line for shoal work and a floating bug taper for shore work. Intermediate would work inopen water but you'd have to slow everything down.

Deceivers, crayfish patterns, leeches, bunnies, clousers, will all work.

I think I just talked myself into this!

#9 ·
Terry... I saw that too ... a great show... My father used to take me there when I was a kid to fish and there was a boat rental ... but to long ago to remember.. What I found interesting is that one of the dive crews stated that they could find no fish anywhere except around the man made structures below water... arounf old bridges etc... I think it might be a good idea to get a map of the lay out below to find those huge structure.

#10 ·
Quentin, thanks I hadn't looked at your link. it does have the rental info.

Striblue, thats a good observation. I wonder where to find those maps. CWMars maybe?

On a Quabbin related note, yesterday Marla Blair had a post on the VFS site with a report on access to the Y pool & Quabbin this year. The short version of it is that Massachussetts budgetary situation & security concerns may change the fees & access hours from those currently posted and possible access to the west side of the swift from rt 9 to the Y pool in April.

#11 ·
John Desjardins said:
Striblue, thats a good observation. I wonder where to find those maps. CWMars maybe?
I have a detailed topo map of Quabbin. Of course, I can't find it at the moment and can't remember where I got it (maybe Pioneer Sporting Goods in Northampton?), but I know they are readily available. Nice maps too. They are waterproof and durable. If I remember correctly they show the old road beds and indicate where the old towns were.

There is also a book about the history of Quabbin and the towns that were flooded. It gives directions to the remains of the towns, and I believe it includes directions to the visible underwater structures. I think my sister has a copy. If so, I will borrow it from her so that I can mark the locations on my map.

Q

#12 ·
This week's issue of The Fisherman says that Quabbin is scheduled to open for fishing on April 13. They will probably have reduced hours of use (6:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.