Hudson Stripers [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hudson Stripers

steelheadmike
03-04-2002, 09:34 AM
Was out on 3/3 in the Hudson River. I landed 1 my buddy Poppy landed 2 and my other buddy Bob landed 9!! all using Storms prismatic rubber jigs. These things are hot!!! I would seriously pick up some if you can find them. I think they will be downright nasty when baby bunker are around in the fall. ( By the way the biggest fish was only 7-8lbs all others were 5-6lbs ) If you live in the area or are visiting, just a word to the wise... #1 Do not keep fish!!! ( March 15 is opening day ) #2 Be sure to have all you safety gear on the boat.

The reason is the Coast Guard and DEP are out in force checking boats for fish and boat violations. This is the first year I have been checked but was glad to see them out there getting the poachers and keeping the reigns tight on those who abuse the resource.

Dble Haul
03-04-2002, 10:07 AM
Good to hear about the fish activity and the presence of the DEP and Coast Guard. It shouldn't be too awfully long now before there's reliable activity on the Connecticut coast too.

Hope you didn't set off the "lead alarm" here on the forum! :devil: Seriously though, keep us posted. What happens in your area will invariably reach us in time. :)

steelheadmike
03-04-2002, 10:41 AM
Well the Hudson is one of those places that very few have a good knowledge of. Down in my area there are some really hot places to fish with very few who know the "when and where" portion of the equation. I only throw spinning tackle when I know its going to be tough and need to cover water fast. Fly rod time is just around the corner, I can't wait! Then soon after the action slows by me I will run the beaches of CT,RI and MA in the never ending quest for Line Sides.

Adrian
03-04-2002, 12:12 PM
Hmmm, I sense a Hudson Yak Attack coming in the not too distant future!:D

Dble Haul
03-04-2002, 12:13 PM
Mike- I can't wait for flyrod time either. If you head up the coast, drop a line and maybe we can meet to do battle with the fish. There's a few others on the board in the area who might be interested as well. :)

steelheadmike
03-04-2002, 01:33 PM
As far as using the "Yak" I saw a guy out there yesterday in one, give it a go. To find them I would suggest trolling a Rattle Trap or a Glass Shad jig right on the bottom in 7-12ft of water.

Mark:
I will certainly drop you a line the next time I go to CT it should be April ( unless the word comes earlier ). I fish the Norwalk Islands 3 days a week so if you are close we certainly could meet up