Fly Fishing Forum banner

Intermediate Lines

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  tackleman 
#1 ·
Soliciting opinions...

Need a new intermediate line for my soon-to-be finished 10# rod. Any thoughts, opinions, recommendations? It's going on a sage rplxi 1090. I've considered overlining by 1, but I have a 9-9 match on my rplxi 9# and have been very happy w/ that.

Have a cortland 444sl that I'm reasonably happy with, a LLBean special that's been solid, but no other experience w/ the various Sci Anglers, Rio, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Intermediate lines

The best intermediate lines I have used are the Airflo SW series clear ints. They are really supple and not prone to kinking like some of the others. I am receiving the new upgraded SA Striper series int and will report on that after I use it for a while. Right now all of my ten wts that I use for fat albert fishing are rigged with either a clear int Airflo or an Orvis 350 Depth Charge. That just about covers all that I need it for. Oh yeah and I have one reel rigged with a floater for the rare times when the wind isn't blowing in the fall. I hope this helps you.

#3 ·
I really like the cortlands as they will take a simple nail knot unlike most other saltwater clear lines. Just makes things easier as I always have trouble with the allbright knot for some reason....

Have not tried the airflos though and I am not sure of their knot holding capabilities.

-sean

#5 ·
I haven't tied a nail knot in a saltwater line in years. I make a whipped loop and attach the leader that way. Much stronger than nail knot especially with the new hard coated flylines.
PS
I have had nail knots slip off the end of intermediate lines. Whether it's because I tie lousy nail knots or whatever I don't know, but that is what happened. It is really a bummer when you have a big albie on and then it's gone.:mad:

#6 · (Edited)
Tod,
Don't have much to offer because my limited experience is with a few Cortland lines. When I was shopping for a ten wgt I used the 444SL saltwater taper for comparing rods. It felt great with the RPLXi. You might want to take a serious look at the new 555 "Little Tunny line", clear camo. Looks interesting.

By the way, I suspect that you won't need to overline that rod.

#8 ·
Tod- I've moved from SciAnglers to AirFlo on most of my rods except the 10#. I've got a SA clear intermediate you're welcome to try if you're coming to the casting clave next weekend, but I echo Capt. Gordon--Airflo feels the smoothest in the guides to me and seems to clear the water more crisply. All highly subjective; your mileage may vary.

#13 ·
I have all sinking lines on all my reels and have had good luck with them even in skinny water.. but this summer I want to fish more crab and shrimp patterns on the Monomoy flats so I spoke with two guys who I consider experts.. Nat and Derek up at First Light Anglers.. They have tested lines and , a couple years ago,recommended to me the Rio Deep sea lines which I loved.. So I asked them to recomend to me the best Intermediate line they know of and said the SA Striper line ,one weight higher the . was the way to go... Gregg, I think they told me that last years model was not that good but SA has apparently made improvements this year.

#14 ·
That's good to hear. They didn't want to stand behind their product. I couldn't afford to buy another and by the time I could the line was shredded and could not be fished without protection for your fingers.

By the way I think they have a couple of striper lines. The one I'm talking about has the braided mono core and was purchased two years ago.

#15 · (Edited)
I have here a 10 weight Striper Coldweather line, which is a replacement for a replacement,for a replacement, the finish peeled off the lines I sent back to SA. I will agree that they replace their lines without any questions, but I have a problem with lines used less than one season. Captain Ray put me on to Cortland's 444 Camo a few years ago, this line was still going strong when I lost it a year ago. I just recently bought another. I probably will get their new 555 Little Tunny line in the near future. This is just my observation. " go with what works for you":) The 10 weight SA Striper Coldweather line I have is new still in the boxif anyone is interested.

#17 ·
Gents - Thanks for all the tips, comments, opinions. Lots of food for thought... Unfortunately, I cannot make the casting clave, but I'll figure a way to beg, borrow (not steal) a few lines locally & test them out. Gregg - Lefty's column nearly sent me out to take out a home equity line to cover all the lines I need...

#18 ·
Speaking strictly from a SWFF perspective:

I was working at a flyshop when the 444 big game clear int first hit the marketplace and bought one from the first shipment we got in from Cortland. I am still using that line today, and will probably use it through next season as well. Holds a nail knot like a standard line and the only time it's been without is when I replace the butt section on purpose. The longer belly and well formed taper lets you quickly load a SW rod while having enough weight forward to shoot running line at the same time. Great line.

Between that and a sinking head line like the Rio Deep Sea, I have no need for any other when pursuing striped bass.

I prefer the casting feel of the Cortland QD 325 on a 9wt to the Deep sea, but the durability of the Deep sea rio more than makes up for the difference. I have not had nor seen a QD coating that has not split into pieces near the junction to sinking line from running line.

The airflo poly line coatings are guaranteed not to split for 5 yrs - anyone know if they make a 325 grain sinking head / interm. running line design that takes a nail knot?

#19 ·
The Airflo Depthfinder is available with intermediate running lines in 300, 400 & 500 grain sizes. The independent tests done by one of the saltwater flyfishing magazines last year showed the Depthfinder lines, with floating running line, to be the fastest sinking lines for grain weight .
An Airflo 300 sinks at about the same rate as 450 grains in PVC.
They are built on a mono core so you will need to use an Albright knot or a braid loop to attach your leader.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.