Hudson River Stripers [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hudson River Stripers

steelheadmike
02-25-2002, 02:43 PM
Although Striper season does not open until 3/15 I took my 17ft Sea Nymph out on 2/24 with two buddies just to see what was going on. Stripers show up as early as 2/1 by my house if the winters are mild. Located boats and fish in one of the "usual" areas. DEP does not say much if you catch and release and mind the boating rules. That applies to shore fisherman as well. Saw lots of fish landed using blood worms. On our tin can we landed 6 fish total using "rubber" fished real slow on the bottom in 7ft of water. Largest fish was about 10-12lbs. Sure felt good to see the rod bend again. In the next few weeks it will be flyrod time. ( water temps need to rise a bit )

Adrian
02-25-2002, 03:36 PM
Mike, that's great news!

I made a couple of trips over to Croton Point early last season but the only thing I could dredge up was a humungous Carp - not sure which of us was the more surprised! There is a spot further upstreem which you probably know well that I hear holds big stripers when they're chasing the herring.

This year I'll be more mobile with the Kayak.

I really want to get out there when the spawning activity is at its high - not to fish - just to witness it. I've heard it can be an incredible sight!

steelheadmike
02-25-2002, 03:43 PM
On Dec 1st of 2001 I landed over 40 stripes off the point on a Pencil Popper!!!! Birds, Bait and busting fish!!! I have fished that area most of my life and know it pretty well. I wonder if I have ever seen ya out there???