Calling Out All Windows/Adobe Experts [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Calling Out All Windows/Adobe Experts

NrthFrk16
02-25-2002, 12:25 AM
I feel as though I am spamming everyboard I can find with this question and I am beyond frustrated and tried every logical solution...

When I loaded my scanning software for my scanner it screwed with the .jpg extension and set it up so that .jpg's would open with some Adobe PhotoDeluxe Bussiness bullsh*t.

I tried to change it back so that my .jpg's would open with IE but am stuck.

I tried to create a new file extension because the .jpg extension is nowhere to be found in my file types menu. In the process of creating the .jpg file exntension I get an error message that states it is not possible because the .jpg extension is already being opened with "PhotoDeluxeBusiness.JPGAandJPEFile" That program was removed from my computer and any left over files that dealt with that program are long gone.

So I am desperate for a fix as whenever I recieve an email that has a .jpg I can not open it and I can not open .jpg's through My Computer or Windows Explorer...I actually have to open the application whether it be IE or photo program to view the file.

And like I said I went through every file type and there is .jpg is not listed and yet it says that .jpg is already associated with an application.

Any ideas!?!?

I got a lead that running Defragemnter might work so we'll see and I also heard that I may have to get into my registry and shoudl contact Adobe or MS if I do that because I could do some serious damage.

Thanks!!

steeliesonafly
02-25-2002, 01:15 AM
Ryan,
Go into your files properties association and change the program you want them to be opened with ie. jpg. I will first need to know which version of windows you are using?

NrthFrk16
02-25-2002, 01:34 AM
I've tried that...its frustrating because I've tried everything I can think of and searched and tried everything in the Windows Help and did a search on Google and tried the first couple answers (the ones that followed were the same as the first two) and nothing has worked! :(

I'm running Windows 98.

juro
02-25-2002, 06:06 AM
Go to Windows explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options... -> File Types

Scroll down to the "J"s

Do you have JPEG (with an E) in the list? You should. Go find it and hit [EDIT] and change the "opens with" program. If not you probably nuked it.

I'm not familliar with other error but the extension is probably being used by photodeluxe mime type so maybe you should go find that in the same list and delete that one to free up the jpg extension, then try to create another jpeg type with .jpg extension after nuking the photodeluxe association?

Quentin
02-25-2002, 07:30 AM
I've had the same problem a few times and it always takes me a while to figure out how to fix it. (I'm also running windows 98). If you can't get it fixed based on the info above, send me an email and I'll try to figure out how I fixed mine and send you the instructions.

Hawkeye
02-25-2002, 08:02 AM
Do you still have PhotoDeluxe on your computer? It sounds like it's gone. If it is not then open the program, open your files and save them as JPEG. I have PDBE and that is how I handle the problem when it comes up - rarely. If it is gone I would suggest reloading it. If you don't have the program anymore - email me.

NrthFrk16
02-25-2002, 10:32 AM
Juro-
I have the .jpeg extension and that is set to open with IE. When I took a .jpg and switched it to a .jpeg it opened without a problem.

Should I have a .jpg in the menu?...because I dont and I am trying to create one but like I said, when I do, I get that error message.

Hawkeye, Quentin-
I removed the program and searched for all leftover files and deleted them. And after what its caused, I never want that program on my computer again! :mad: If you have any ideas, shoot me an email ryanpetzold@email.msn.com

juro
02-25-2002, 12:20 PM
Ryan -

That means you just need to add the .jpg extension to the list of extensions for that mime type. Once you add that extension you'll be all set.

Juro

NrthFrk16
02-25-2002, 12:30 PM
Juro-
I've tried that...when I try to add the .jpg it says that it already exists yet it is nowhere to be found in my menu plus the program that it states is using the .jpg extension no longer exists on my computer. :(

I think Adobe Tech Support is going to be hearing from me... :mad:

Thanks for the help, though!! :)