Fly Fishing Forum banner

Latest on underwater cameras?

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
My trusty Canon UW 35mm did not survive being loaned to my family for their Feb vacation. Apparently they tried to reload it while snorkeling and I just discovered that is has been brining internally in salt water for days. Already rusted up inside, dead as a doornail. >sigh<

I'll either replace it with the same unit or go with another model, initially was waiting for the digital UW per my earlier posts but now am forced to make a decision before April.

If anyone has been doing product reviews in this arena pls let me know what your thoughts are.

#2 ·
Lucky S300 owners!!!!!

Juro, if you're lucky enough to own the Elph S300, canon have come out with a waterproof case which is good to 100ft.

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s300/main_f.html#

Not a cheap accessory at $151 up but a step in the right direction.

I looked to see if they had anything for my powershot A5 and everywhere I looked just said "upgrade" :rolleyes:

#4 ·
Fish-head, no it was the waterproof to 16 ft model, but it didn't help when opened in the saltwater. :(

Adrian - thanks! that powershot's the top pick so far... digital to 100 ft, that's for me! The $450 (not including the case) will delay the purchase until after the season starts and I get a few trips going. Didn't think there was a digital underwater out there in reasonable price range, great bit of sleuthing! :)

#6 ·
MInolta Stinks

Hey Juro. I can tell you what NOT to buy. A MInolta Weathermatic Dual 35. It has a feature where at the push of a button it switches lenses. This feature broke resulting in a roll of vacation photos turning out all blurry. The lenses got stuck or something. I sent it back to Minolta and they told me the problem was a result of my damaging the camera. That was not the case and they begrudgingly said they would repair it. They sent it back "fixed", but it was not. Stay away from Minolta. Good luck, Hilakes:tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk:

#7 ·
Juro,
I saw this camera, Elph Sport and wished it came out before the A1 that you broke. Basically the same thing as the A1, but with all the perks of APS format film. Not digital, but a good option none the less.

Nick

#8 ·
Thanks Nick -

It's the best value for sure but the digitals have piqued my interest... Canon's digitals come with several options for 100ft waterproofing via these cases...

http://www.canoncompanystore.com/cg...194/Catalog/1094/0?RootCategory=1090&Paging=0

But between the cams and cases we're talking the price of two or three waterproof conventional cameras!

Of course if we're talking mpeg and waterproof to 100' then that would be well worth it...

#9 ·
Those cases are awesome, would be well worth it. I'll have to keep that in mind when I decide which camera to buy soon. I've got to get a digital camera...my scanner isn't fast enough!

Nick

BTW-Juro, I pm'd ya.

#10 ·
New Tech for digital imaging!

Was listening to news radio driving between holes tuesday and heard a little about a quantum leap in digital imageing. According to the man the whole thing is about to get a big shake up. They were reporting from a tech fair some place around Palo Alto, and the word was the new tech was more than twice as good in quality and was going to hit the market at less than half the price of the competiton. They also led me to beleive the units were alot smaller. They gave the company website but the spruce trees were playing with the signal and I was not able to hear it clearly.
They did however mention it was a privately held company with no need or desire to do an IPO so I guess its just wait for the camera.

#11 ·
Last night I ordered a Canon Elph S230:

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s230/index.html

Looks like it has an underwater case which is cool and takes 3 minutes of video, which is also pretty cool. I was going back and forth between this and the S40, but I realized that with the small size of the Elph, I'm more likely to take it everywhere and get more great shots.

I'll post some picks once I get it - got it via Amex Membership Rewards, so if you are a member, you may want to look into using your points. Wife signed me up, I had no idea. Love her so much more now! :D

#12 ·
The truely 'cheap one' raises his hand ...

Joan and I went through two Nikons, both leaked (back to Juro's salt water) and finally said 'fiddle this.' So hit Costco/BiMart and just picked up the 'one use' waterproof camera(s).

Fixed lens or no, no frills 35mm, but both the Fuji and the 'other one' worked just fine, both took very good pictures, come pre-loaded with 400 speed film. Cost was somewhere around $9-$12 bucks each. Waterproof to about 10 foot.

Worked just as well as the Nikon and I'm not paranoid about loosing/dropping/leakage at that price.
fae

#13 ·
Juro, I think I posted before, I was going to purchase the Canon S230 which is very small, and still has3.2meg. I think it can be had around $370, and the case is about another $175. Just looking, but haven't found the addresses, I know it was ebay dealers. Decided against it right now, want a large anti reverse reel first.:) The Tinman has got it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.