Fly Fishing Forum banner

Old Florida reels and all drags corky

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Sprocket 
#1 ·
So I was out grass casting yesaturday, doing a side-by-side of 250 vs. 350 gr lines (results pending), and I noticed the reeling in "action" of my new reel was less than active - less than smooth, almost choppy.

So I did what anybody would do - took it apart, put it back together, repeat, repeat, repeat.

What I noticed after final assembly was that the action got smoother when I tightened the drag & pulled out line - reeling in of said line became dramatically smoother.

my question:
Is this common among cork drag reels, Old Florida brand specifically?

I ssupect it took several winds for the spool/drag to "seat" itself.

Thanks,
TMS

#4 ·
captG - you mean I can send my reel to them and get a new one back or will they just replace the internals?

John - no, any idea where I can get some?

I gave it a few spins this morning - seems fine.

corralary question:
Are all cork drags this fussy (compared to the click/pawl jobs I've been using)?

edit:
Oh yeah, Jon use 2 d's please - thanks chap, don't want to be confused with the other Tod on the BB.;)

#7 ·
Todd.. cork material can dry out and portions can crack off the surface... pick up any old wine cork and you will see.... especially over the winter.. you can pick up the stuff at any hardware store and it is used generally for leather waterproofing.... but keeps the cork lubercated... put a little on your finger and apply it to the surface of the cork... BUT NOT TOO MUCH..not a soaking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.