Fly Fishing Forum banner

Leaky Breathable Waders

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Hilakes 
#1 ·
I have a weepy slow leak in my breathable waders that is driving me nuts. I have tried to find it and have coated a good portion of the crotch with sealer but still get a wet crotch if I wade over my waste for some period of time (hold the comments please). I read in a Flyfishing Alaska promo magazine that we should all be adept at identfying leaks in our breathable waders with alcohol and water but to other info is given. Anyone familiar with this technique??

#2 ·
Leak ID

This works for GoreTex material.
Use some commonly available "Isopropyl Rubbing Alacohol" and a fine mist spray bottle. Spray the area where you think there is a leak and any hole will show up as a dark spot. Most holes in Goretex are very small, pin sized, so look carefully.
Also, contact SIMMS for more info.. or send in your (Simms)waders to them, full repairs cost $30.00

#3 ·
Leaky breathables; words from Hell. :>)

I use the Dan Bailies year round; just layer during the winter. REALLY inspect the outside of the material as I suspect the pin-hole may be easier to spot than you think. Then it's just 'standard' patching practice. Look for a point of material that's not 'flat,' puckered, etc. This will be easier than you think.

One question though; are the inside seems taped and glued? If so this gets a bit more interesting as one of the seams has given up the ghost; spend the $30 bucks.
fe

#4 ·
The waders are Cabelas and I am not aware of any repair fee, but I'll check. They are at least four year old. The seams are taped and glued. I've put them in water, filled them with water, inspected every inch inside and out, put a flashlight in them in a dark room, etc and can't find the leak. I'll try the isopropyl trick and give Cabelas a call. Maybe its time for a new pair if that doesn't work. Thanks for the advice.

#5 ·
Re: Leaky breathables

:tsk_tsk: Hi kcmes. What ever you do, don't buy a pair of RONNY waders. They absolutly will make you crazy. I've owned a couple of pairs of Cabelos 5mm neoprenes and they have been great. The best part is that Cabelo's is a quality co. and will probably help you out. Your waders are 4 yrs. old and sounds like they've been good to you. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.