Fly Fishing Forum banner

Deals at the Outlets

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Dad 
#1 ·
My wife and I drove up to the outlets in North Conway, NH this afternoon. While there I dropped into the Orvis and the L.L. Bean outlet stores. I came across some great deals that I thought I would post in case any of you guys and gals live near a similar outlet store.

Orvis was selling saltwater flies for $1 a piece! I bought 3 squid flies and 2 clousers. That was all that they were selling that was of any merit. I have been tying flies like mad but I could not pass on these $1 gems. They were also selling lots of freshwater trout flies - 2 dozen flies for $14. I also bought some 9 foot, 12 lb. knotless tapered leaders for $1.50 a piece. I started tying my own leaders but at this price I could not ignore the tapered leaders either.

Orvis had great deals on Redington waders and Ex-Officio travel/flats shirts (marked down from $81 to $32).

L.L. Bean started selling Sage rods this year. I saw a bunch of Sage rods at the outlet - that is a first for me. The rods were 40% off retail.

So - if any of you are in the market for this type of stuff then you should pound the pavement and get to the outlets.

-Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
...ulterior motive?...

Mike...Does your wife have a sister?!!! ...and if she does, does she have her own SWFF gear?...and if she does, does she have a place on/near the water?...and if she does, could she be moved to become casually involved with a slightly handicapped, moderately decorated, freshly retired war veteran!?

Orvis & LL Bean...Kiersten is a KEEPER!!!

#4 ·
Pete,

I put in the good word for you! I stressed the fact that any lucky lass that is able to land you is guaranteed to learn all about what it takes to catch big stripers - and from one of the funniest guys I know!

See you soon...

-Mike

#5 ·
Since your talking about sales... REI in Reading.. just off Rt.128 is having a big sale... Bought some exofficio Shorts and pants for the $30 each..like the Bean sale you mentioned.. They had the same mark downds on flat shirts... didn't buy one because I could not find a color or style I did not have... sick huh?

#8 ·
BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU WISH FOR

The charming, debonair, elegant styling Mr. Fix is noted for (note: similar to the Messrs. Cary Grant, Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, et al:razz: ) doesn't require being "made" to wear :tsk_tsk:

Frankly, Mr. President, Mr. Fix expresses his deep disappointment in your inability to present appropriately at our recent gathering :whoa: :smokin: :razz:

Thank you for your notice of current sales items at the local REI.

#9 ·
John,
Next time your at the fishing boutiuqe your fishing caddies uniform requirements are as follows:

Shirts - vented, sleeve length 37", neck 17 - 18 (18 if you require me to wear an asscoat).

Please avoid bright yellows and reds - don't want to get stung by no bees.

Quick dry pants - 40" waist thru mid June, 38" after one or two trips to Monomoy.

Inseam 34", would like the zip off leggings please.

Your Humble Servant

#10 · (Edited)
Fred... your hired!.... as my valet... anyone who can put that list together is a made man in my book. Also.. I will want rather drab colors for my caddy as I don't want the caddy noticed more than me.. know what I mean... You will need a back pack as well... Naturally, North Face, I insist... for my GPS, Digital Camera, Leica Binoculars, Other grubby fishing stuff, bottled water... anything European, Starbucks Coffee in Hy-tech thermos, Additionnal thermos for expresso(French Roast), Sandwiches from Chatham Provisions... with goat cheese and healthy Vegies...., Cuban Cigars, Bolivar Robustos... Dunhill 1920's Silver lighter, French Gitane Cigarettes, Creed Irish Tweed Cologna( If you get the 4 onz.. it's only $150.. the 2 1/2 is $130), Extra Fly Rods and Reels... and don't put one of those Reddinton reels in there... I don't like practical jokes from the help. Oh... and Casting Gloves... .. Please take care to hire that fellow..Fix ,also... I want you to supervise him... he should only speak to me though you... as my second.. Frederick.... have I missed anything?...speak up Jeevers I don't have all day!

#12 ·
It hurts.........

I have my taxes done and I was just waiting on my Bride to finish up her part of the story, I was laughing so loudly at this thread that I broke her train of thought and shes in the other end of the house. Probably not an accurate reflection of the humor just a combination of humor and releif, any hoot I think its hilarious.
The rains are slowing down mayhaps a fish or two is in the offing!

#13 ·
Closer to home..

Mike..... Had the good luck of finding a small selection of North Face pants and shirts at the local TJMax. Pants are zippered at both the knee and cuff, sand in color,with belt, and $14.99/ pr.. Shirts were both long and short sleeved, vented, and like the pants are the pat. TEKWARE. They were priced at $15-$20. I bought them all. Maybe we can work a swap. Some of your Orvis flies for pants with one?...... Dad..

#16 ·
Ahoy

Greetings Dave.... been laying back reading the posts these last 4 months hoping to pick up some useful info.I must have been sleeping. Just bought what I thought was a reel neat Orvis vest on line. Purchased it on E-Bay from a seller in Fla. who said they were a seminole indian who had only worn it once. Has a beaded patch, in the shape of a fish, that was sown on the pocket supposedly by the indians wife for good luck. Thought it would be something different and an interesting conversation piece. Now I read vests are passe and I really am hesitant to break it out this spring. I shouldn't even mention the pricey pliers-knife-lanyard-leather holster combo that I recently picked up. I really am feeling useless. Guess I had best wait to see if that new YAK I am looking at makes the "TEN" best list. Maybe I'll sell the vest and the combo and sign-up for some casting lessons. Any advice. Regards ............ J.D.

#17 ·
Msgr. Morin: Please accept this as my formal invitation to meet for beverages - a single ice cube please - to discuss our attire at the next shedualed event.
I can hear Mr.F now, "to me through him my ass..." LO freakin' L

Dad, et al Doogue: If the other two are as nice as the one I met it should be "3 Doogue Knights". Welcome Dad, nice clan.

Ta for now,
Mr.S

#19 ·
Great to hear from you Jim! Also good to see Mark and Mike (or was it Mike and Mark??) at the SW Edge show. I think I can get the names the right way round now :smokin:

Hope to see the whole clan at Wilmington or later at the casting clave.

#20 · (Edited)
Jim.. where have you been.. Like the new handle --DAD... By the way will have to show you a new Randall I got.... for fishing.. It the "tri-athlete".. which is perfect for fishing... and a new model.. It is all one piece metal..like a High altitude knife.. with hole punched into the handle. Much better design than their usual fishing knife. Todd... a splendid idea old sport... I will see to it that Dave be our waiter.

#22 ·
Dear John(Adrian & Roop)

Nice to hear from you all.
Adrian; I've been following your Yak posts with more than a passing interest. Mark and I are heading to the local yak emporium in a few hours to view a couple. I'll try and keep my hands in my pockets and hold off. With so many members buying new craft it might be to my advantage to wait and make a purchase based on their recomendations. Equally important to me would be any thing you might like to share after you have completed your yak course. Congrats. on your decision to give up the smokes. Black coffee and sinkers on me........
John; I havn't seen that new T- A your talking about but I am sure she will appear in my near future. I didn't really care for the #10 you were sporting on your hip last summer and if I remember correctly you questioned it's practicality. I purposely stay out of Stoddards because I have a hard time saying no.(If yaks were Randalls my wife would own a fleet). I'll have to show you the new Hubertus lever-lok I recently picked up. Makes a great letter opener but you don't want to show it to the mailman.
Roop; glad to hear you had made a move, unlike Ritch. Maybe you could do me a favor the next time you see the Joker. He had in his hand a skunk Pelt that he had purchased on line and said it was going to be awarded on a weekly basis. Could you find out, do we have to wear It??
J.D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.