Fly Fishing Forum banner

6126 Spey from Sage

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the new Sage 6126 Spey rod? I'm curious whether it will make a good low water greaseliner / large trout rod, or will steelies bent it into a pretzel?

Juro

#2 ·
dOh - the 6126 is a european overhand. I'll have some information on it soon - Sage has provided this blank in addition to two others in support of our two-handed rod program! (Annoucement to follow in Vol.2)

I also hope to cast it at the pool in Wilmington.

Juro

#3 ·
Ah, Juro . . . I remember your 7136 encounter with that big Sol Duc buck well! Much as I love my 7136, that incident prompted me to lock it away during the winter months and save it for summer and aggressive steelhead on light wire hooks.

I was in the Seattle Kaufmanns yesterday and had a chance to try out the 6126. The guys in the shop aren't very excited about the rod, and I can see why. It's just more of what you get with the 7136 but even lighter and shorter. The action is moderate - not as soft as the 7136 but not stiff by any means.

Casting in the parking lot revealed that this is a rod that really doesn't like to be overpowered. A gentle casting motion will roll out a 6wt DT 60', but the butt collapses at the slightest hint of a forceful casting stroke.

I think Sage has found the useful limit of the market as far as light and short two-handed rods goes.

Discussing it with the two staffers who'd tried the rod, we agreed it might be a great rod in certain circumstances. Possibilities included (1) surface fishing for really small summer steelhead like Klamath River or Rogue River half pounders or (2) dry fly or nymph fishing for larger trout in Montana. Float tubers might also like this rod, as it's definitely light enough to cast with one hand.

#4 ·
Thanks Brian! I also had a chance to play with one today. I spent the day bringing Smitty into the computer age... I hope he forgives me
When you stand back and look at the myriad of things one must learn to use one of these gizmos effectively from someone else's eyes, they sure are a mess. Hope the folks in Redmond are listening!

I also took a peek at the 8124-3 Euro Two-hander, in fact it's one of the blanks Sage has provided for our two-handed project. Clearly comes across as an overhand rod, although I wouldn't rule it out for throwing heads in a Spey fashion (as you know I do on occasion).

My deepest appreciation goes to Kevin Thompson in Bainbridge HQ and Sage rep Brad Gage here in striper country. I hope the results of our efforts prove worthy to them as well as us. (More in Vol#2).

#5 ·
Brian,

I had a chance to throw this rod with a 6/7/8 windcutter dry and it handled the line very well (and you know my feelings about the windcutter as a dry line). The taper is much quicke and the butt felt more powerful than the 7136. I would like to cast them back to back. FYI, you'll also see a very similar (? same) taper come out from a different manufacturer (not know for two handers) branded under the name of a NW guide this summer (sorry on a stack of bibles).
Rumor has it this s the "favored" rod of the Deschutes guides when the wind is down.

regards

andre

#6 ·
Andre - fill us in when this startup goes public! I think there is a market for a landlocked salmon rod that can be overhead and Spey cast down east (Penobscot, etc), but it will be a year or two before folks start regularly applying them in the region.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.