What do you know, Doublespey in a book [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What do you know, Doublespey in a book

Steelheader69
02-17-2002, 04:22 PM
I was given a few books the other day by a friend of mine. I already got rid of some of tehbass bookss, but kept the salmon/stelhead books. @2 of them were river journals. Picked up the Sauk/SKaagit journal, was flipping through it, and low and ehold I see doublespey with a nice hen. WHat do you know!!!

I'm sure this is already common knowledge, just was ice to see someone I kknw in a book. Just thought I'd share that nfo.

Oh yeah DS (Brian), loks like I may take an extended weekend and fish the Hoh eithe Ffri/Sat/Sun or Sat/Sun/Mon. Al dictates on when work wil let me have the time off. If the money is in, wil hae t make a special trip to get tha sage from you to test her ouut. :D

NrthFrk16
02-17-2002, 04:42 PM
One of these days, I am going to get the gumption to ask him to autograph thatt picture!!! ;)

okey dokey...back to work... :devil:

Doublespey
02-17-2002, 10:55 PM
Yeah, fond memories from that one. That was the early 90's - i'd just started steelhead flyfishing a couple years ago. I'd caught quite a few summer fish on flies, and hooked some spring fish in the Sky. But I'd never gotten one to the bank. Come off on the strike, on the jump, or on the run - I just couldn't get one to come to the bank!
:(

I'd run into Dec on the Sky quite a few times - we talked rivers and Steelhead. He's a great guy and an outstanding guide who really enjoys sharing his rivers and expertise with his clients.

I'd always wanted to fish the Skagit but had no idea where to start. And I was curious what the secret was to getting these winter fish in. So I asked him if there were any days available- he was booked but said if he had any cancellations he'd give me a call.

Sure enuf, some guy's buddy cancelled on him and he asked if I'd be up to fill in. Even though I was sick with the flu, I couldn't pass up that opportunity!:D

It was a long day, but that hen made it all worthwhile! Great fight, beautiful fish, and an outstanding intro to the Skagit! And Dec got his chance to help me understand what I was doing wrong.

Him screaming at me to put more pressure on that fish when it tried to sulk behind rocks is still clear in my mind. :tsk_tsk: :chuckle: :chuckle:

I'd always let the summer fish run and tire themselves out, but the winter/spring fish are a different animal and you've really got to take the fight to a lot of 'em if you want to land them. There are other factors (large hooks, takes that are often on/near the hangdown) that contribute to the bad hook/land ration, but how you play them definitely is a factor.

ST69 - just let me know re the rod. Definitely the stick for the Hoh this time of year! Are you headed next weekend?

DS

Steelheader69
02-18-2002, 01:00 AM
Hoping t make a 3 day weekend out of it, depending on work. Will either be this fri/sat/sun or sat/sun/mon. If I can't get one of the week days off, will be a hurried trip as you well knoww. I haate maing i a one day, and hate rushing. Also depdns heavily if my exwife takes the kids llike she says she is supposed to. Iit's oone of those wait and see. I'm going o play my cards, ad not get alot ready. THat way, I'l get the days off and wil russh to get thigns ready to go. Uusually iit's Murphys law with me, I get everything planned and ready to go, the plans fal through.

So, if al gos wel, it's he Hoh this coming weekend. I have oone auction, that will pay for the rod if th $$ coems hrough ASAP. Was a good set of auctionns, can't commplain at all. Will pay for your rod, the 7wt spey, and maybe a digital camera, ad possibly even a norviise on top of that. We'll see. :D

NrthFrk16
02-18-2002, 01:13 AM
Hey Jerry-
You are looking for a Nor-Vise??? How much you looking to spend...I've got one here. I wanted to add a second vise to my collection as the Nor-Vise isn't condusive to all my tying.

I never sell any of my equipment as I am too much of a gear whore but if you a serious about it, let me know. That Dyna-King Barracuda sure does look sweet!!! :devil:

steeliesonafly
02-18-2002, 01:29 AM
Hey Ryan,
Are you using the Dyna King Barrucada? How do you like it. Is it worth the extra cash?

NrthFrk16
02-18-2002, 01:36 AM
I am not using it now but I have always been more then impressed with any of the Dyna-Kings. They are very well machined and unlike Renzettis, they are bullet proof!!

I am using a Nor-Vise now and its a great vise for certain applications but I never bothered with the automatic bobbin which in turn limits the cons of the vise. For me, the area that houses the bearings just gets in the way...

I grew up following Alec Jackson around like a groupie and I guess the easiest way for me to emulate him, was to buy the Nor-Vise. :rolleyes:

topwater
02-18-2002, 05:48 PM
the dyna-king is the vise i tie with. i started with a regal (still the best jaws made), then switched to a rotary renzetti (hated tightening the screws when inserting and taking out hooks) and finally bought the dyna-king. i have seen the nor-vise, and for the tying i do (saltwater and steelhead flies) the dyna-king can't be beat and is one of the few pieces of equipment i own that i don't even consider upgrading or replacing, or even trying anything else. the nor-vise is great if you do lots of dubbing or spinning of materials, but the jaw just isn't comparable to most other vises on the market imo.

chris

pmflyfisher
02-18-2002, 06:33 PM
Yes have had that journal since it came out in 1995.

How are the nates running in the Skagit/Sauk now?