Big Brother Fly Fishing Day [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big Brother Fly Fishing Day

juro
02-17-2002, 12:44 PM
I saw a Discovery Channel show the other day on drugs and theories about their frequent use in troubled families of all classes. Whether it be alchohol, nicotine or cocaine, they all have the same approach to overloading the dopamine in the brain so that chemically induced sensation of joy overcomes natural sources of joy. Unbelievably, the levels of artificial stimulation in the brain induced by drugs exceeds that of sexual orgasm.

This made me think about how lucky we are in that we all share a common ability to derive great joy from something pure and of the earth, something close to our true nature as living beings - crafting things that reflect our insights from feathers and fur to stand in the deafening silence of a burning dawn; as the world sleeps behind us we step into the waves of a day we feel right down to the marrow.

I pondered that even though drugs are often a more powerful motivator than the simple joys of life (to some), perhaps they are not as powerful a substance as "the salt of life" itself.

And so I called Big Brother Assoc. of Boston last night after hours to carpe diem and left a message that I would like to talk to them about an annual fly fishing excursion with fatherless boys sponsored by the Flyfishing Forum.

I of all people am too busy to have the traditional big brother relationship with one of these kids, but I think a day in June, perhaps Father's Day, would be a great way to introduce some of these boys to flyfishing on our great coast.

My family let's me do anything I want on Father's Day. I always fish. Maybe as a 40-something father of three I should be a father to someone who's Father's Day is a source of emotional suffering. Maybe I can make a difference that way.

Our goal won't be to have the traditional relationship unless anyone can manage that kind of commitment - it will be an annual event instead.

I'll let you know what they say. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this, and if you could join me this Father's Day.

thanks,

Juro

Hawkeye
02-17-2002, 12:53 PM
What a truly wonderful idea Juro. I'm in in anyway I can help. I hope they take us up on the offer.

Adrian
02-17-2002, 01:34 PM
What a great idea!

I have a committment on Sat 15th but Sunday June 16th is free. Love to help any way I can!

tomd
02-17-2002, 02:51 PM
great idea, I'll double check on the day to make sure some big F'day thing isn't planned, and get back to you. Tom D

juro
02-17-2002, 09:14 PM
Well, I've talked this over offline with a few people and here are a few more suggestions:

a) We should do the outing with the big brother and the kids as hosts and guides rather than as big brothers ourselves wherever possible. We want to teach how to fish for a lifetime, not give a fish for a day. By handing the big brother the torch we will achieve a lot more.

b) We should offer this service to them let them the B/B organization handle the recruitment the way they see fit

c) This kind of program should be offered in every region where we can uphold the offer to the BB's

All of your suggestions are welcome.

Adrian
02-18-2002, 12:03 AM
That makes a lot of sense - giving something which may become a catalyst for ongoing good!

timwatts
02-18-2002, 06:10 AM
Good stuff Juro. Count me in.

Roop
02-18-2002, 12:57 PM
Nice idea.

Pending any family time requirements, I'll help out anyway needed.

Roop

tomd
02-18-2002, 03:10 PM
looks like I'm good to go if this can be done Juro

jborkowski
02-20-2002, 09:57 PM
Are you kidding! Of course I'm in.

Can't wait.

But what happens if the kid hooks up to that once in a lifetime 45incher? Would it be considered poor Big Brother etiquette to tackle your kid and steal the rod?

juro
02-20-2002, 11:01 PM
I spoke with BB and they are interested in doing this. I will be working closely with them to firm up the plans. If anyone wants to be involved in the planning effort, let me know we can always use the help.

We will need several more members to chaperone the big/little brother groups.

We'll most likely take the big brothers and little brothers on the Rip Ryder out to South Beach for the day, then maybe a barbeque that evening or something.

At least one Forum member per big/little brother pair is needed, preferably more.

Ideal date will be Father's Day or thereabouts. Please consider giving a day to this cause. Who knows, if it goes well maybe it will become an annual tradition too!

The plans are open for refinement, if you are willing and able feel free to get involved. Thanks in advance to all who are willing to help out!

Juro

Adrian
02-20-2002, 11:46 PM
Juro, not sure what I can do from this end but I'm definitely on for that day. South beach/barbecue combo sounds great. Can supply a couple of 9wt outfits, flies etc. and hands on attention.

Maybe we can get a few minutes to chat as a group on March 9th over a hotdog/diet coke ;)

Dble Haul
02-21-2002, 09:01 AM
Juro- This is probably the best idea I've seen so far since I've frequented this forum. I usually have family obligations on Father's Day, but if I'm available I'd love to help out in any way that I can.

Kudos on a wonderful project idea! :D

striblue
02-22-2002, 11:22 AM
I'm In.

MarkDoogue
02-25-2002, 08:20 PM
Would it be worthwhile for some of us to kayak over to SB?

That way we could let the kids paddle around the shore with their BB as well. Young kids have been known to have young attention spans. Kayaks might be a decent diversion as the day progresses.

I've yet to broach the topic of a Father's Day exit strategy with Sandy, but I'd like to help out. I have a soft spot for all kids but especially kids that are less fortunate than my own.

~Mark Doogue

tomd
02-28-2002, 03:17 PM
:D juro, let me know the date as soon as you know, so I can inform my better half. Tom D

juro
03-07-2002, 12:04 PM
Just spoke with BB today.

Here's the rough plan:

One Forum chaperone per brother pair, minimum 10 groups (30 people total) - maximum 15 groups (45 total). Half day with lunch.

!We will need to get commitments from chaperones fairly soon.

Father's Day is ideal for the kids. If we have to choose another day we will but let's make these kids Father's Day special. I just need to have dinner with my family, but our family custom is that dad fishes all day on that day anyway so I am all set.

Please volunteer if you can do this, and those who have already done so THANK YOU!

Nick
03-07-2002, 12:31 PM
Juro,
I would love to volunteer for this event, however I am not sure that I would be able to make a great guide or a successful trip. I would be more than happy to help out anyway I can. Since I'm not a father yet, the day should be no problem for me. Let me know how to help, either being directly involved or doing any other leg work necessary.

Nick

juro
03-07-2002, 12:57 PM
Nick -

You are an excellent chaperone for a little brother and his big brother, and it will be awesome having you on the BB program! Besides we needed a GQ type in case someone brings a camera :devil:

Thanks Nick!

Quentin
03-12-2002, 07:42 AM
I would like to volunteer to help with this event. Even if I'm not much of a fishing guide or flyfishing instructor I can always help by taking photos, lugging stuff around and helping with the meal. Father's Day is fine with me. Of course that means that I will probably have to come out to Chatham on Saturday. What a drag :hehe:

Q

juro
03-12-2002, 08:03 AM
We'll definitely need to scout the day before, otherwise we would not have good information for the outing. ;)

To wife: "Honestly dear, you want us to do well for the kids, don't you?" :devil:

tomd
03-12-2002, 01:01 PM
I'm in for father's day Juro Tom D

JimW
03-12-2002, 05:34 PM
This is something I would really like to do but I spend my day with the family and fish practically every other day :)

I can't be there but my equipment can if it helps out.

tomd
04-06-2002, 10:27 PM
Juro, you may have started a family tradition here! my wife is volunteering to do something on Mother's day in Boston for women and families who are down on their luck. some big fancy meal served for them , all the waiters will be in tuxes etc...
she thought of helping because of your idea.

juro
04-07-2002, 08:31 AM
Yes, this is all set and I am psyched. BB calls once in a while to check in. They are psyched too!

When I think about this is just makes me feel great that we can do something like this for them, and for ourselves. I can't wait.

What your wife is doing is really awesome!

Hawkeye
04-08-2002, 10:58 PM
I am really looking forward to this! I think I've talked my dad into joining us and it will be all the more special to spend the day walking the surf with him while introducing a boy to flyfishing on what has got to be one of the more difficult days of the year for him.

juro
04-08-2002, 11:18 PM
Glad to hear he will be joining us. My son will most likely be helping out too - I am really looking forward to this Father's Day!

If any of you are bound to Father's Day protocol, I encourage you to invite fathers and sons to get out for the morning and the mid-day barbeque at least. You can get home and make a good showing for all at dinner, like I plan to do.

striblue
04-08-2002, 11:33 PM
I am in as I said and I will bring one Son...But are you sure they will be able to take me.... I mean with all my BS I could damage them irretrevably.. "Well son... one day when I was fishing here ..right at this spot... the beach was invaded by Pirates, the mean nasty kind.... who came after my fishing stuff ... well I fought them off with a fish not quit as big as the one you just caught.. really scared me... but I held on swinging the fish around... now lets talk about coservation.. the fish survived and was glad it helped out... the pirates live on Morris Island right now as we stand here .......why , just the other day......"

Smcdermott
04-28-2002, 06:15 PM
Juro,
Are you still taking volunteers for this event? I would love to help in any way I can.

Sean

Nick
04-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Juro,
I'm still a go for this as well. Please let me know what I can do to help organize. This is gonna be one of my favorite get together's this year.

Nick

juro
04-28-2002, 06:47 PM
Yes Sean, thanks!

Nick - I agree, this is going to be kind of a defining moment for us I think! :)

Dble Haul
04-29-2002, 10:19 AM
As I previously thought, I can't make it to help out on Fathers' Day, but if I can help out by lending any of my gear please let me know.

Papa-G
04-30-2002, 11:54 AM
Hey Juro,

Count me in. Hawkeye has stated he may have talked me into the day. It didn't take me long to decide to join in on the plan. What a great idea! Do you need me to bring anything such as the pop-up awning.

George