Stony Brook tying clave [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Stony Brook tying clave

Hawkeye
02-16-2002, 02:50 PM
Though I could only stay a few hours it was a lot of fun to see everyone again or meet some new people. As usual I learned a few cool tricks and for a change I was able to share a bit o'stuff I had learned.

Thanks a bunch Sully for making this happen!!! I forgot to leave a fly for you as meister so I owe you one. What kind o' fly would you like?

grego
02-16-2002, 03:43 PM
You beat me to the punch Gregg!

It was a great Event at Stoney Brook!

SSully You are The Man! Thanks also to JFFT!

Great Social event & I also learned a thing or two!

I can now say that I can tie the Original Angle Hair Fly, cause Capt. Ray showed me how!

Saw a lot of Familar faces & finally got to meet some guys that I've corresponded with but had not met in person, like Larry B, Striper-Tom & HighTech.

doug
02-16-2002, 04:20 PM
Ditto what has already been said.....
Ssully...thanks again! For everything!!
Juro,.....you make casting look so damn easy! :)
What a batch of flies by Striblue!! What an artist!!
Capt. Ray.....Thanks for the genuine original angel hair fly!
Great to see everyone again! Great to meet a bunch of new faces from all over New England!
DB

juro
02-16-2002, 04:36 PM
Thank you Sully, Doug, and all who made the Stony Brook tying tradition something I look forward to every year. It was amazing weather outside too - felt awesome to have the sun in our faces casting a line even if the pond was still frozen ;)

I tied three flies, a new record for me at one of these get togethers! Well, 2.5 due to a crab fly with no legs or eyes :rolleyes:

The best part by far was meeting once again with a good showing by the people who make the New England angling community so damn great!

Spring can't be far now...

Doug - I have your two deep eels, but you'll have to meet me at Monomoy to get 'em :devil:

RayStachelek
02-16-2002, 05:19 PM
Sean.... You da burger man! couldn't have picked a better day to grill outdoors and be at Stoney Brook. Thanks for the fiddles!

The fly tying competition was great too, but the scoring seemed a little flawed. Those Joppa tiers seemed to have voted as one bloc, like they already had talked it over. Was a nice gester Sean to settle the dispute by awarding two gold metals. I'm getting my bronzed as I speak. :D

Larry B. was the only show from Cape side. Where were all the others hitting the creeks and kettle ponds?

Doug, Striper Tom, Salty, Slinger, Terry, Juro, Ron C. Bob P. , etc., ... great to see ya all again.

Will try to start an early spring invasion trip as soon as the bass appear.

Ever see so many Bone fish flies in your life? Nice to see John, that your therapy is finally paying dividends.
:D

striblue
02-16-2002, 05:59 PM
Sean... thanks again.. wish I got there sooner but I tied two flies...one more than last year... but atleast I finished the flies..huh Sean? When I got there most had left but good to see everyone ... missed a bunch of you.. but made some face connection.. Doug, Larry B, etc. Ray... I am still onery but when I see Dave Fix giving me "the Stare" I get back to reality. Sean.. good luck in the Bahamas and extend your trip by fishing the beach resort at dawn.

ssully
02-16-2002, 11:21 PM
I'm glad that everyone who could make it had a fun time.

Slinger
02-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Congratulations to JFFT for throwing one hellacious time!In my years of throwing feathers at fish I have been priveliged to sit at the feet of many of the masters, seldom have I seen such an assemballage of talent as I met today. Juro, you da man! Your casting demo could make you an international show attraction! Mr. Pink, now that I`ve met you I will still call you that, not just out of respect but because of your grasp of matters piscatorial. Mr, fix, as always an extreme pleasure to share time with you. Salty, thats one purty reel. Striblue darndest collection of Bone flies ever. Ssully, masterful job of running a gettogather. Mr. Backman, hope to see more of your journalistic endeavors soon. To every one else that that I did not introduce myself to thanks for a red letter day. For Capt. Ray, you must have a lot of free time over the winter, those were some truly innovative ties. Remember you saw it first on FEb. 16 2002 and Capt. Ray did it!
Slinger

juro
02-17-2002, 11:50 AM
Doug shows his colors...

juro
02-17-2002, 11:52 AM
This man can make good stuff to eat (see also Boneclave!). Nice job Sully!

juro
02-17-2002, 11:53 AM
Lefty (on left) and Capt.Ray Angelhair Stacheleck...

juro
02-17-2002, 11:55 AM
What a great crew! Good to meet everyone...

juro
02-17-2002, 11:56 AM
Anyone see any bonefish flies around here? ;)

Lefty
02-17-2002, 09:57 PM
Thanks again Sully. Nice to see every one. Once again it's not about flies,...sorta, it's about people and story telling. Good crew.
Hey looking at Doug B.'s shirt it says Joppa Flat IRELAND ..almost. Now there's a thought. God I gotta stop listening to them Clancy Bros. fightin songs. Glad I finally got to a JFFTC meeting.

Lefty

ssully
02-17-2002, 10:57 PM
today. Turned my poor negelected yesterdays attempt in to a bonefish fly. So there John!
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/ssully/stuff/shrimp.jpg

striblue
02-18-2002, 01:02 AM
Nice one Sean.... Keep at ,you will need a box for sure on your trip...Finished off 20 more from Browns book and I am now at 130 out of the 150... Not sure I can complete the last 10 since I left those where I don't have anything close to the material. But I will get to 140 and then find a display case.

doogue
02-18-2002, 07:58 AM
John,

Michael's (the craft store) sells some nice looking display cases. The cases are not heirloom quality but they look decent hanging on the wall and do not break the bank.

Just FYI.

-Mike

grego
02-18-2002, 09:59 AM
Juro Here's my first attempt at the Fly we Discussed. I would have used all whit Hackle If I had it! For Size Perspective, that's a 6/0 Hook! Input Welcomed.

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/logo1/herring.jpg

FishHawk
02-18-2002, 11:27 AM
Had a great time at the clave even though it was short lived. My friend had a bad cold and we had to leave early. Sorry I missed John and his Bone fish fly collection. Picked up a few good tips wish I could have stayed longer. Can't wait for the casting clave. FishHawk:smokin:

striblue
02-18-2002, 11:38 AM
Mike.. Before I read your post I had decided to to go to Micheals in Burlington today to look at glue products.. I have been tying some of the bonefish bitters and MOE's with epoxy and food coloring dye to get the other colors which works well. Also I will start my photos' today having bought the SonyCyber-shot 3.2 pixels DSC-p5... will also pick up an Underwater unit accessory for the camera today. Will need to work on some of the difficult Crab patterns, I finally did some of Ververka's crabs with the corsair and they look perfect,( the key to the flat profile is to use superclue on the edges as you flatten..push the legs and eyes just below the glue setting with a bodkin, then cover with epoxy..thin layer.. but enough to fill the cavity of the corsair )... may be using those on the Monomoy flats this summer. Finished some other crab and shrimp patterns with Goop and photoflo. One thing I did learn in the bonefish exercise is make such you have plenty of tan.. tan everything including thread.

doug
02-19-2002, 07:07 PM
Hey Juro,
Thanks for not showing my "bad side".
Hope to take you up on Monomoy this upcoming season....with or without the secret sandeel.
DB

hightechtoo
02-19-2002, 08:16 PM
http://www.mv.com/users/hightech/morin.jpg

striblue
02-19-2002, 10:42 PM
Thanks Hightech... as soon as I figure out my camera and this posting thing I will do each individually and add to the Bonefish Archives... Nice to meet you at the clave and hope to see you down in Chatham this spring..let me know when you are down and we can wet a line.

ssully
02-21-2002, 12:25 AM
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/ssully/stuff/jmflies1.jpg

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/ssully/stuff/jmflies2.jpg

striblue
02-21-2002, 01:50 AM
Thanks Sean... great pictures.