cheap jungle cock cape??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: cheap jungle cock cape???

tomd
02-15-2002, 02:49 PM
anyone know where I can get decent prices on this stuff? I saw a guy at the show last year selling loose j c eyes in bags, anyone know who it was? using for eyes on flies, not museum pieces. thanks, Tom D

juro
02-15-2002, 03:08 PM
The best prices I've seen, particularly for the quality, are from our new sponsor Fishermen's Feathers from the UK.

I am working on a mini-feature to introduce Ron Taylor and his business, but in the meantime you can reach him at:

http://www.fishermensfeathers.com/

You will not find better quality, price or dedication to the art of producing these and other fine tying feathers than you will from Ron. We are pleased to welcome him as a Worldwide Flyfishing Forum supporter!

jared
02-15-2002, 05:17 PM
Tom --

not sure which "show" you're referring to, but it might
have been Phil Castleman of "Castle Arms" -- no clue
if he's going to Wilmington or not....but I can find out
if you'd like.

--j

juro
02-15-2002, 05:39 PM
Per Fisherman's Feathers, let me know if anyone is making an order and I will place my order with you to share the (trivial) shipping charge. The prices of JC capes are significantly lower than domestic sources because he raises them himself. I've seen lower quality capes at over $50 USD higher than his prices. Most of what you see domestically is of low-moderate grade and the eyes are predominately splits. His stuff is premium grade.

RE: Phil Castleman - you can call his shop in springfield 1-800-525-4866. I'll bet he will be at Marlboro. If Ray Capobianco is working his booth, ask him about the great fish story about his trip with Brendan OBrien last year in Chatham!
;)

FrenchCreek
02-15-2002, 07:11 PM
Don't let the title confuse you!
I would like in on an order for JC as well.
So if anyone else is joining in an order, please let me know.

tomd
02-15-2002, 09:44 PM
Juro, how do you wanna handle the order? I'm ready when you guys are, these are good prices. Tom D

Adrian
02-15-2002, 09:54 PM
Me too - amazing price for a quality cape!

juro
02-16-2002, 05:59 AM
I'd be happy to consolidate the order. In fact I'll cover the $6 shipping this time around, and I will bring the order to the casting clave. He is prompt as well, judging from my last order.

Is everyone looking for a full cape?

Half cape?

Other?

Moonlight
02-16-2002, 08:53 AM
Sounds like a good deal! I have only seen mid quality for $125 t0 $150 US and never the half capes I am going to order one right now. Thanks for the information.

tomd
02-16-2002, 09:09 AM
not sure what grade to get. these'll be used as eyes for flatwings. so should I get B? Tom D

JimW
02-16-2002, 11:08 AM
I'm with Tom. I'd be using these primarily for flatwing eyes as well. I would guess a single cape give you different sizes for tying different size flies, or am I off base. Does the grading refer to the brilliance of the colors, number of usable feathers or shape?
Guessing, I'd go for a whole grade B at $60 but or a 1/2 super.

FrenchCreek
02-16-2002, 05:17 PM
Juro, I'm in for a full cape Brade "A"
Send me a note regarding payment

rel1
02-17-2002, 01:46 PM
Tom- I recently bought the grade C cape for the flatwingeyes and the other breast feathers(for Gibbs striper fly) and I'm very pleased with the quality of the eyes Some are split but alittle wax takes care of that and there are plenty of size variations. Ron even selected a cape with extra breast feathers for me. I highly recommend him and his company to anyone looking for good quality JC eyes that won't break the bank. Ron

Adrian
02-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Juro

I'll go for a super quality - bargain at $90.

How do we get money to you?

tomd
02-17-2002, 05:15 PM
thanks for the input. thanks, Tom D

Eddie
02-17-2002, 05:43 PM
I'll get a Super Cape too. How shall I pay/ Maybe we could call him or e-mail him with our cc#'s.

tomd
02-19-2002, 08:02 PM
Juro, are you placing the order, or should I just go ahead and email him? Tom D

juro
03-12-2002, 12:02 PM
SORRY folks, been busy but you knew that.

I am going to put the order together and ship it off over the next couple of days:

Eddie - super
Adrian - super
Pete - grade A (paid)
JimW - grade B or 1/2 super
TomD - still deciding

If everyone is OK with paypal, I will get the order together and sent by Friday. I emailed Ron and he is waiting for our order.

If you have a preference for smaller, medium or large eyes please tell me ahead of time, otherwise I will ask for a good mix of sizes.

Juro

tomd
03-12-2002, 12:08 PM
I needed some for tying so I ordered and received them today, full B cape and half A cape, wow... nice, the half cape was all eyes(nails), no base feathers!!! great guys to do business with. Tom D

juro
03-12-2002, 12:31 PM
Glad to hear it! You did of course mention that you were referred by the Forum, right? ;)

JimW
03-12-2002, 02:10 PM
I'll go the whole B. I'd like medium to large if there is a choice. I'll paypal you tonight.
Thanks.

juro
03-12-2002, 02:15 PM
Cool! Hold on until I get the link set up so the spreadsheet knows what the payment is for...

I will put it here in fact.

Adrian
03-12-2002, 02:18 PM
Juro, thanks for pulling this together.

My preference is for Super - Large Eyes.

Paypal is cool :)

FrenchCreek
03-12-2002, 07:29 PM
I prefer small and/or medium

grego
03-12-2002, 09:25 PM
When is this order going in? I could use a small amount of JC, because I have started tying some salmon patterns (see other post) for May. I don't need very many & I don't even know what Size I need for the standard salmon patterns I'm tying. So, I guess I should get a couple of those 10-packs, unless someone who is getting a Larger amount wants to sell me 5-10 pairs to defer some cost?

A week ago I didn't know what JC was! :confused:

juro
03-13-2002, 05:40 PM
FYI - anyone could have put this order together for the gang, it's that easy!

here is the order page:

http://flyfishingforum.com/publicmarket/ff-order.htm

I think there is a comment column, put your preference for size there.

ssully
03-14-2002, 10:09 PM
Juro,

I'm not set up for the Paypal and don't really want to. However can I send you a check? I would like to order a Super quality 1/2 cape. Please let me know. TIA.

juro
03-15-2002, 12:01 AM
Sure thing Sully.

Flyfishing Forum
PO Box 58
Groton MA 01450

ssully
03-15-2002, 10:38 AM
Thanks Juro,

I'll send you a check this weekend. I checked the JC site so I'm assuming that I owe you $50 for a super 1/2 cape. If this isn't correct let me know.

BTW, there is a very good article in the current Fly Tier magazine detailing Chromer streamer flies. That require JC. ;-)