Striper Fly Swap [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Striper Fly Swap

juro
12-12-2000, 06:10 AM
I'd like to propose a winter striper fly swap. Here's how it works:

1) send in 6 flies. Include approx postage for swap meister to send flies back, a container is nice and will protect your flies onthe return trip.

2) receive 6 flies from others w/ recipes and optional notes, email, etc.

3) images of all flies will be posted

Enroll here...

ronl
12-12-2000, 06:56 AM
Count me in. Ronl

jeffg
12-12-2000, 07:21 AM
In!

tomd
12-12-2000, 09:44 AM
me too!!! Tom D

marvin
12-12-2000, 10:07 AM
definitely in!

striblue
12-12-2000, 10:07 AM
I would like in also...But I am just starting to tie and may not have the type of flies people want untill I get the hang of it.. But I sure would like to get some recipies.

Mattb
12-12-2000, 10:13 AM
I'm in! I guess I'll tie some pearl necklaces.

doug
12-12-2000, 10:33 AM
I think that I need another year of tying before I'll join in on this!

i'm so outta here
12-12-2000, 10:46 AM
I'm in.

Doug -- what if we paired beginners with beginners??

striblue
12-12-2000, 11:45 AM
Al, now your talking!!! great idea,( mano a mano).

Dave
12-12-2000, 01:59 PM
Count me in.

grego
12-12-2000, 03:02 PM
>> what if we paired beginners with beginners?? <<

Al, great Idea! I'd be embarrassed to exchange my new-be efforts for some real works of art!

saltydog
12-12-2000, 04:19 PM
COUNT me in ! ? what if you have more than 6. guys signe up. do we tie more than 6 flies?
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYING"

juro
12-12-2000, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the swap SaltyDog!

The way it's done you can't get one of everybody's - but you end up with an assortment from 6 participants.

The swap meister is the luckiest of all - he or she gets to at least see them all passing thru!

Juro

Bob Pink
12-12-2000, 06:48 PM
juro,
I'll volunteer to be the drop/distribution site for the swap (if you need one)I have easy access to UPS inbound/outbound and can organize it after work. Let me know. Maybe if I can get that digital camera this christmas I'll take some shots to post as the flies come through??
BTW, count me in for the swap as well.

Bob

Roop
12-12-2000, 06:48 PM
I'm in.

RE: Newbies to tying (ahem, dressing)
1. Don't short-change yourselves. I've been tying for longer than I want to admit and I'm still not too proud of my flies.

2. The fish don't know how long you've been tying. Take a look at some of the fly pattern books and you'll find patterns "pro's" swear by but look more like something the cat coughed up than any type of baitfish.

Roop

doug
12-13-2000, 05:09 AM
Al,
Now that you guilted me into reconsidering.....
And seeing how I had a couple people over my house last weekend pretending to be tying flies...( I only say that because in about 3 hours time...3 guys tied a total of 4 and 1/2 flies??!!)....judging by that rate, I'd need about 6 weeks to tie 6 flies...just kidding....
When do the flies have to be in? If I can make the deadline....I'll reconsider embarassing myself! Atleast I'm not missing another clave...not yet, anyways!!
Doug B.

Hawkeye
12-13-2000, 10:00 AM
I am definitely in!

I'd like to ditto Roop's comments and encourage all tyers to participate and to not try to pair skill levels for swapping. First of all, in my opinion, it is really difficult to tie a fly that wont at the very least take schoolies. I have tied some really ugly things generated by my questionable skills and some scary ideas that make it from my subconcious to my imagination - the thing is they generally work (one large exception to this is my "lobster fly"). The second point is that for many of us it is fun to pass on our work and imagine the recipient will have great success using it. I guess I'm saying that receiving flies in return is only half of the pleasure and that I would participate even if I got nothing in return. My final point is that for those of us, myself included, who have a lot to learn benefit greatly by studying the work of the truly skilled artisans we have in our community.

Nick
12-13-2000, 11:21 AM
I would love to join. Al, I think we are gonna need a Fly tying Clave board to post participants to. Just a suggestion. I also agree hole heartedly with the idea that the rattiest flies sometimes catch the most fish. I am no expert, but my feathers on a hook still catch fish.

nick

RayStachelek
12-13-2000, 02:02 PM
There are as numerous solutions to this problem as we have opinions here. My Polish mother used to say, "To many hands spoil the kielbasa." The problem of fair trading, level of skill, and the quality of flies is always inherent in any discussion like this. Please.... just keep this situation of trading flies as simple as possible.

If Bob Pink is going to be the central receiver/deliever of the swap, all he has to do is take the first six packages he receives in the mail and use that as his sample group. The next six, he uses the same method. No matter what quality or type of fly, the whole process will be fair. It's called "Pot Luck."

RS

John_Desjardins
12-13-2000, 03:38 PM
I'm in. Now I just need to get the time to tie the flies.

Tod D
12-14-2000, 11:45 AM
Count me in. I need to dust off the vise and get down to some serious winter tying.

Chowdah Bob
12-14-2000, 07:05 PM
I'll tie up 6 of my snakes again. Last year I did black, Think I'll do white, think bonito would go for them?

By the way I'm not an expert and particpated last year.
AND, everone needs fodder for catching bluefish.......

doogue
12-14-2000, 10:03 PM
Hello to all,

Count me in on the fly swap too. Anyone can tie a decent clouser or deceiver and these flies will take many, many stripers in the course of a season. I thank my girlfriend (she is a crafty lass) for getting me into tying. As it turns out, tying is not all that difficult if you stick to the basics. Brad Burns (author of L.L. Bean's Fly Fishing for Striped Bass Handbook) claims that the best sand eel imitation that he has ever seen is still only slightly more productive than a few pieces of saddle hackle tied to a hook!

Later.

-Mike D

shadfreak
12-16-2000, 11:04 AM
Great idea, The first swap I was in netted me the fly that caught all but two of my fish on a monomoy trip this past summer. Shadfreak