Sage Changes All Two-Handers for 2002 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sage Changes All Two-Handers for 2002

NrthFrk16
11-09-2001, 10:44 PM
...settle down though. It is only a minor cosmetical change. They are going away from the green blank and back to the brown blank which will be the color of the SLT and the same wrapping scheme and such.

So after the first of the year, you might stuble upon some great deals for 2001 Sage Two-handers when the shops get their shipments of the 2002 models.

roballen
11-10-2001, 12:34 AM
good heads up Ryan thanks . even though you should all be fishing Burkheimers:O)

NrthFrk16
11-10-2001, 12:51 AM
No problem but keep it on the low... :D Sage is trying to keep it quiet but they made a big mistake by letting me know. ;) I've got the biggest mouth of anyone around. }> }>

Someday I'll have to tell you about how my big mouth nearly got Simms pulled from the shop I work at.

...but it has something to do with flyshop.com, yours truly pimping Bailey waders and the President of Simms reading that very post.

juro
11-10-2001, 04:28 AM
Ryan -

Very cool! This may be exactly the opportunity I needed to add a couple rods to the rack.

In addition to stores clearing their existing inventory, some stores are chosen as clearance centers offering discontinued rods at 50% retail - Kittery Trading Post in Maine is an example. These rods scream off the shelf so if you know anyone who knows anyone... I expect they will get a bunch due to Ryans News.

Fred Evans
11-10-2001, 08:07 PM
Interesting they would 'dump' the green blanks and go back to their "traditional" browns. Public said "no" to the new colour?
fe

roballen
11-11-2001, 01:04 AM
Fred I think consumers are saying no to fair preformance at a high price.. Just my opinion but I think there are better rods out there for the same price or less. To be honest I don't think that is limited to their spey rods. There is nothing wrong with their rods as a whole but as far as I am concerned none of them are spectacular rods but they are all decent rods. I just think people are sick of things changing every other month and not changing for the better.. I am not trying to badmouth sage I just think they are losing well have lost their competitive edge. I think they need to put some serious thought into designing rods that preform better than other makers because they clearly are not doing that now..

Highlander
11-11-2001, 10:33 PM
Personally I kind of liked the green blanks, although the color of a rod should not matter compared to how it performs.I have casted all of the traditional action sage rods and they perform well, possibly lacking in power a bit but they are smooth. I spent the weekend testing every spey line I own on the sage 7141-4 and I walked away thinking how could there be a better rod for its designated line weight. It does everything well from shooting heads to the accellerator I could fish it year round and not feel compromised in the least. I have casted the burkhiemer rods and they are o.k I feel they are under powered for my style of casting. I own a winston DB rod 8/9 that is the most powerful rod on the market it will throw the whole 9/10 accel if you want. But the rod I love the most is the sage 8150-4, a true master peice in rod desighn although some may disagree. I own more than a few rods from different makers but when I pick a rod for a full days fishing I always seem to grab one of the sage rods!

Fred Evans
11-12-2001, 01:26 AM
Interesting you should mention the 815 sage spey; this is quickly becomeing a 'cult rod.' Only used one once, with a really wrong line match and wasn't impressed. But, as I said, I think it was the line,not the rod.

Have 7 or 8 spey rods now, all but two are Sages (also several other fly rods, leaning heavily towards the sage product). Love their spey rods but are there better ones? Probably, but I think it has to do with your "style" of casting and what works with you time after time.

Eddie
11-12-2001, 09:27 AM
Sage is changing the colors to match the XP and SLT. XP color for fast action/SLT color for moderate action. Nothing wrong with that.

Highlander
11-13-2001, 10:51 PM
I suppose there is nothing wrong with being color cordinated but its sure gonna take some time for that color to growon me.

Brian