A steelhead is steelhead is a . . ? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: A steelhead is steelhead is a . . ?

Leland Miyawaki
02-06-2002, 03:54 PM
I was walking carefully because I know this particular path to the river is slipperier than deer guts on a doorknob. Sure enough, I went down flat on my back, spread eagled. If anyone had come upon me, they might still be telling their friends about the guy making a snow-angel on the banks of the Sky at seven this morning.

I strung up my two-hander, stepped into the river, where I found I had missed the stripping guide. "No problemo," Iíll simply back the #4 GP back through the guides. By the time I got the fly down to the missed guide, it bore no resemblance to itís former self.

After doing several squats in the water to wash the mud off my butt, I made my first cast at 7:30. I fished through the run once then changed to a big black mystery fly someone had given me last year. At 9am I hooked up. I got a good wallow and waited. The hot, reel-screeching run of a double-digit wild native steelhead was a no-show. Instead, I reeled in the wimpiest, most docile steelhead Iíve ever encountered. It was a hatchery hen of about eight pounds that looked to be in good condition but, by her lack of action, was spawned out. I shook her off the hook and watched as she turned slowly into the current and disappeared. Iíve had a small dog at the end of a leash fight harder.

Soon, a couple gearguys showed up and lowholed me, ending my morning. As I walked by, one of them asked how I did. "Nothing to brag about," I said.

Leland.

pmflyfisher
02-06-2002, 07:30 PM
I have had a few like that, spawned out kelts on there way back to Lake Michigan.

Heck we would be tired to after all of that xxx.

:hehe: :hehe:

Doublespey
02-07-2002, 10:49 AM
My personal belief is that you're allotted a certain # of hatchery snakes and Dollys, along with the occasional wild Steelhead, as the dedicated flyfisher's early February quota. Later in the month, the percentages usually change.

Hell, after freezing my a## off I'm usually happy to see ANY Steelhead on the end of my line in February!:chuckle:

DS

juro
02-07-2002, 03:28 PM
Leland,

I anxiously await the report describing the steelhead from hell that will bring your world back to equilibrium... :D