Greetings [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Greetings

Mean Gene
02-06-2002, 04:19 PM
Just a note to say hi from a new guy and to make sure everything is working. I look forward to chatting with you folks. I live in Yreka, Ca. and am surrounded by some pretty good fishing and am also starting to do some commercial tying. This looks like a good site. Talk to you later.:D

MarkDoogue
02-06-2002, 04:23 PM
Welcome Mean Gene,

I think you'll find this site to be a great place to learn what you don't know and share what you do.

All the best,

~Mark Doogue

fredaevans
02-06-2002, 06:19 PM
here in Medford. Dave's down in Ashland, I'm in Medford, and Nate's just north of us in White City. Memory serves you're about an hour's drive below Medford on I-5. Would be pleased as punch to have you join us on the river!!

Come Salmon season on the upper Klamath, you get to be "Official Indian Guide."
:D

Fred, for the Group.

Mean Gene
02-06-2002, 06:45 PM
Hey Fred, I'm all for an exchange of trips! Do you make it down this way much? I may go try the Shasta River tomarrow or Friday. I've not done much fly fishing for salmon but I'm up for just about anything!

steeliesonafly
02-06-2002, 09:30 PM
Welcome Gene,
You will find lots of good information here, and lots of help! Most folks here will give you the shirt off their backs!
There are lots of tiers here with lots of good ideas. Get a good camera and show us some of your flies!
Oh and Fred, just when are the Salmon going to run?

Dble Haul
02-06-2002, 09:36 PM
Welcome from a member out here on the East Coast. Many of us are still revelling in the Patriots' victory, so pardon us if we seem a bit giddy.

Good luck with the commercial tying. Take care to prevent ergonomic damage to your neck, limbs, and eyes and you should do quite well. I only say this because I've seen others wind up in pain because they didn't take appropriate measures.

Enjoy the site, and have fun. :)

Hawkeye
02-07-2002, 06:48 PM
So, what kind of fishing do you have in Yreka?

striblue
02-07-2002, 11:22 PM
Welcome from the east Coast. I got confused for a moment... there's a Medford and Ashland here in Mass.

fredaevans
02-07-2002, 11:51 PM
Reg,
There are two major runs of Salmon in the Rogue River. The spring run (March - May) is the biggie. Past two years have averaged over 33,000 fish by actual count. The fall run of kings, then a smaller run of Coho begins in October - early December.

Gene, correct me on this vis a vis the Klamath, but the main run I think is in late August - October in the upper river. Again, a very large run of fish.

Mean Gene
02-08-2002, 11:08 AM
Hey Hawkeye, There's fishing here for trout, steelhead, salmon and largemouth bass. There's some great rivers within easy driving distance such as the Sacramento, McCloud, Klamath, Fall, Pit, Hat Creek, etc. Too many lakes to mention, and I haven't even started in on Oregon waters.

That's right on the salmon Fred...Aug.-Oct. I don't know of anyone doing any good on them on flies by the time they get here though. The real fly action is on the steelhead. You guys have MUCH better fish up on the Rogue as far as salmon go.