Fantail Steelhead [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fantail Steelhead

pmflyfisher
02-04-2002, 07:02 PM
FYI

Check this steelhead mutant out.

Caught in November 2001- Lake Erie or Ontario, think Lake Ontario.

With a tail like that imagine the fight !!

Ugly to me though, must be a hatchery mistake

Go direct to the URL to getter better look with out the BACK sign.

http://www.oswegoriverguide.com/fan.htm

Philster
02-04-2002, 08:08 PM
What's next? A Lion-Head Steelie? I've never said it before, but I'm getting close to taking the side of those who say those aren't real steelhead :hehe:

loco_alto
02-04-2002, 08:08 PM
Frightening - yet interesting what can get by the forces of natural selection when a sea run creature becomes top predator in a lake ecosystem.

Maybe the "lake run steelhead" debate will end if they start calling them "fantails"

juro
02-04-2002, 09:31 PM
Gives me the heebeejeebees. Reminiscent of a male tropical beta. What's really humorous is that other guy holding the same fish like he caught it too! :hehe:

NrthFrk16
02-05-2002, 02:38 AM
That is just too odd...are you sure he wasnt having a little fun with Photoshop!!??

Ive seen pictures and one up close of brats that litterly have their 'noses' rubbed off as in no head infront of their eyes. Very odd...wish I still had those pictures.

pmflyfisher
02-05-2002, 05:55 AM
Don' think it was doctored, though, maybe they cross bred a steelhead with a gold fish ?

Thats what that tail looks like to me.

Very odd though, hope I never hook one.:smokin: :smokin:

Steelheader69
02-05-2002, 07:01 PM
Now tha's a freak of nature. Cclosest thing Ii've seen to that is on a zipperlip river my Dad and I fish for monster silvers (they average 15+=lbs). We had a limit of fish, 3 bucks and one hen. I always do tth cleaning job, I love to clean fish. We had some nice fish. All where 15-20lbs. The three bucks where mint fresh, but had very pronounced hook noses, despite haviing no spawning colors. Wel, upon gutting the first buck, HE was ful of salmon eggs. Not in the stomach, but in SPAWN SACS!!! Sure enough, next buck was same, full of eggs. Was the 20lb silver buck that actualy was a buck, milt sacs and all. The bullet headed hen was a hen also. Freaks of nature I guess.

I've aalso have heard aboout those tiger kings in rivers that are closed to chum fishiing. :D LOL. My Dad and I used to joke about thta, buut we never kept them.

steeliesonafly
02-05-2002, 08:40 PM
Suppose somebody's gold fish got a little amorous......:hehe: That is one ugly fish.....

pmflyfisher
02-05-2002, 10:35 PM
Agree very ugly hope they do not stray from Lake Ontario over by me to Lake Michigan

:whoa: :whoa:

NrthFrk16
02-06-2002, 12:28 AM
This photo sort of reminds me a photo that was being passed around on differnt lists about 4 years or so ago. It was a photo of a 20# 'rainbow trout' caught in a small creek near Ellensburg.

In fact, it was actually a carp which had been doctored up in Photoshop. :tsk_tsk:

Gotta love those carp... :hehe:

pmflyfisher
02-06-2002, 06:04 AM
Yes carp, the fresh water bone fish.

Just reading up in Michigan a fly fishing club is having their second annual carp FF tournanment.

I myself am also gearing up for the carp assault this year on some local ponds and canals that are not fished much at all
and they have some BIG carp.

Guess I will go with a 7 weight fly rod, 8 weight looks to heavy.

:devil: