thanks kush, a couple more questions [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: thanks kush, a couple more questions

metalhead
02-03-2002, 01:47 AM
so,do straight or turned up eye hooks work best?also,i read where some of you attached long rabbit strip tails on your flies.i know a couple of ways to keep them from fouling but am always interested in hearing how others do it.

kush
02-03-2002, 11:46 AM
Metalhead,

Straight eye hooks are definitely the ticket. As I like to use a hook-holder with my tubes - a piece of soft tubing, fine surgical tubing or fit the hook inside the tube itself short shank straight eye hooks like the Tiemco 105 or Partridge's Nordic Single Spey (my personal favourite - and formerly known as the Boile Carp Hook) are great hooks.

As for the fouling of rabbit strips, I've just never had much of a problem with it. The short shank hook seems to stay out of the way nicely.

Whiskey Dick
02-03-2002, 02:51 PM
Hi Kush, where do you get your Partridge Nordic single spey hooks from?. I live in Central Oregon and can not find them any where local. What size do you use the most?.thanks in advance,brian

kush
02-03-2002, 05:22 PM
Whiskey Dick,

Doublespey got some for us, I believe he ordered them from Hunter's, maybe he can shed a little more light.

I use #6 & #8's in most situations, though for the larger flies I will sometimes use #4's.