Forumn Demographics [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Forumn Demographics

pmflyfisher
01-31-2002, 06:24 PM
Lets find out the primary type of fly fishing every one is planning to do in 2002

saltRon
01-31-2002, 08:03 PM
That is a difficult poll for some of us on the west coast as the choice will very with time of the year. Salmon, Steelhead, Inland and costal trout all have there high times during the year with of course some overlap.

------saltRon

Dble Haul
01-31-2002, 09:17 PM
Hal- Good poll topic, but tough. I chose freshwater bass because these are the species that are very close to home and where I'll likely unwind a few times a week after work.

If I'd had a few more votes, I'd also put notches in for stripers/bluefish and other fresh water (pike).

pmflyfisher
01-31-2002, 11:14 PM
Same here in the mid west can fish for trout, steelhead, salmon 365 days a year, difference is that is COLDER here in the Great Lakes, than the PNW in the winter. Very hardy fishing I can assure you. "Builds Character"

Objective was to have each person vote for the one species they would be fly fishing for with most of their available time in 2002.

I think I know what the result of this poll will be, but we will see.

Hawkeye
02-01-2002, 12:55 PM
I said stripers/blues but I kinda wish it were trout.

Sprocket
02-01-2002, 08:11 PM
my vote only mentions targeted fish - all other "by-catch" is still considered "catching"

I'll go after bluegills if I have to, I just won't start out after them...

pmflyfisher
02-10-2002, 10:28 AM
Thats what I thought more striped bass salt water FF.

But why so few steelhead FF ? Lets get those votes out for the steelhead as our primary fish this coming year.

When I get back from LA next weekend will post the FINAL results.

Won't be bringing the steelie gear to LA LA land thats for sure !!!

:smokin: :smokin:

DFix
02-11-2002, 09:32 AM
This voting thing doesn't lend itself to variables. I'm not going to target just stripers and blues; I may target sunfish and perch at some point, so short of what we don't have available for whatever reason, I'm in for the balance.

troutdude
02-11-2002, 06:22 PM
I have always been a trout fisherman, but this year I plan to do as much Striper fishing as possible. A 2 hour ride to the ocean while trout are right here in my backyard.:D

mitch
02-13-2002, 01:49 AM
Since I'm here in Hawaii, there's a plethora of fish in the salt that I could target. Could being the key word.
Last year, of the dozen trips I took wading the flats by the AF Base, I hooked a few porcupine fish, and foul-hooked a ray.
Here's the list of fish caught in 2001:
Large Mouth Bass (TX)
Blue Gill (TX)
Catfish (TX)
Striped Bass (RI/VA)
Barramundi (AU)
Sarratoga (AU)
Sleepy Cod (AU)
Porcupine Fish (HI)
Ray (HI)
Last month's addition brought the total number of kids in my household to three, three years and under. Between them and work-ups between HI and CA, I'm guessing my time on the water will be limited. Then again, I knew I bought 4-piece rods for a reason :)
Mitch

juro
02-13-2002, 07:40 AM
Congrats Mitch! Three is a good number, same as me. I had to do the drive-by fishing thing for several years but since they all grew up I am starting to visualize what they might possibly mean by the golden years of angling off in the distance yet, but I see it :)

Slinger
02-15-2002, 01:32 AM
Sleepy Cod??????
Slinger

mitch
02-15-2002, 03:47 AM
Slinger,
That's what the guide called it, and it felt like reeling in a wet sock. To go along with not understanding what the guide and the other fellas were talking about, they were cracking jokes about George Michaels, and telling jokes similar to the "A rabbi, a monk, and Hitler walk into a bar..." substituting it with Aussie words that I couldn't begin to translate, let alone repeat. Like the nice guy I am, I chuckled along and added the occasional "You bet". From the years of travelling, I have come to the realization that I am too ethnocentric to live anywhere but in America.
Take care all,
Mitch

steeliesonafly
02-15-2002, 08:21 AM
Without question for us in the West. It would be mostly trout! And when I can Steelies.

Jere Eshelman
02-17-2002, 06:36 PM
I don't get in too many hrs. of fishing through out the year, but what I have been doing for the past many years is live for the week I get to go steelhead fishing in SW Alaska. I try to take off for a few days in early April to warm up the shoulder and tweek my timing with the two hander in Erie or Pulaski, depending on water conditions. This year I may try to find an instructor in the Pulaski area to help me improve my spey casting. Anybody have any suggestions?

pmflyfisher
02-18-2002, 07:52 PM
Steelhead fisherman are closing the gap with the trout and striper/blue fish crowd.

All those new spey board members need to vote that will probably put steelhead fisherman over the top.

I thought the striper/blue saltwater fisherman would be the majority though.

pmflyfisher
03-01-2002, 09:43 PM
After one month the results are.

Saltwater striped bass/blue fish FF win

Trout and steelhead essentially a tie

Thought steelhead would be higher but did think saltwater would win.

pmflyfisher
03-28-2002, 06:29 AM
If any of the new people want to vote here is your chance.

pmflyfisher
04-07-2002, 08:47 PM
Wow in the last two weeks the trout fisherman have come out of the closet and now trail the saltwater anglers by one vote.

Must be the April trout openers all over the country.

pmflyfisher
04-15-2002, 11:08 PM
Trout FFs have now TIED the saltwater guys !!!!

OK will give it to April 30th for the final poll.

This is not a Florida voting methodology I can assure you.

BTW, one of my good friends who is an expert municipal and election lawyer here in Chicago, was called in for expert testimony during the Gore and Bush Florida voting fiasco. I almost dropped when I saw him on national TV in the Florida court room. Republicans called him in since he had litigated a similar election case here in Chicago in 1992 successfully.

You know the "Chad" thing. I won't be calling him in for this election though.

P.S. You can only vote once, there is a program control on that.

pmflyfisher
05-01-2002, 11:38 PM
Any new members not voted yet ?

Papa-G
05-02-2002, 09:10 PM
I attempted to vote this morning but for some reason it got dropped. I think I added a long post that caused my logon to be timed out. When I went to submit the post I got the login page and was forced to logon again. All was lost.

I think it will be Stripers this year even though I must travel many miles to find some salt water.

Could this be because of two other salt water ff'rs, Hawkey and Novice. Na.....:hehe:

Stone
05-06-2002, 04:14 PM
Sorry I didn't see there was a timetable on it until I read through the post.

Oh well, there is always room for one more Trout man, isn't there???

:hehe:

pmflyfisher
05-06-2002, 04:41 PM
Absolutely, trout fisherman rule, no real time limit on the poll, you can only vote once though (program controls on that).

Now we have a tie for the lead

:eyecrazy: :eyecrazy:

Dble Haul
05-07-2002, 10:33 AM
First we heard....

"OK will give it till April 30th for the final poll.

This is not a Florida voting methodology I can assure you."

Then we heard....

"Absolutely, trout fishermen rule, no real time limit on the poll..."

Hal, I'm starting to believe that you really ARE in politics.

:devil: :hehe: :devil: :hehe: :devil:

John Desjardins
05-07-2002, 10:56 AM
Okay we are up to 4 for the warmwater, thats Dblhaul, Sprocket(?) myself and who else.

P.S. You can only vote once, there is a program control on that.

If we use politics as a model its once per username. :devil:

pmflyfisher
05-07-2002, 02:06 PM
No I am not into politics although I deal with them every day at the federal and statel level in my job. Plus I live in Chicago and have a good lawyer friend who consulted for Bush in the Florida election fiasco. He was on national tv and all now I have to hear about it every time I see him.

Let the poll run on as long as Juro and Sean's one vote program control is working

Stone
05-07-2002, 03:12 PM
TROUT!!!!

Why else would you fish? Nothing else makes me feel soo good!
http://www.ex-x.net/images/icons/happyhappy.gif http://www.ex-x.net/images/icons/happyhappy.gif http://www.ex-x.net/images/icons/happyhappy.gif http://www.ex-x.net/images/icons/happyhappy.gif http://www.ex-x.net/images/icons/happyhappy.gif http://www.ex-x.net/images/icons/happyhappy.gif

pmflyfisher
05-17-2002, 02:44 PM
Wow, where did all of the steelhead fisherman come from in the last couple of weeks ? Saltwater anglers are in a catch up mode now to the trout crowd.

fredaevans
05-17-2002, 06:58 PM
Anyway to check if that was Jim Jones voting for Long Beach, CA 'tail-water' Carp?
:devil:

He's (the lucky stiff) is at the Sandy Clave, so figure I've got two days of post-reads before he demands I remove this one.
:D

pmflyfisher
05-17-2002, 08:03 PM
Yep, agree that must be Jim, what else is there in San Diego to fly fish for other than salt water. I did read they have some saltwater fly fishing there. I myself would be golfing if I was in San Diego.:chuckle: :chuckle:

pmflyfisher
05-31-2002, 01:09 PM
Well its a tie for second place to the first place trout anglers right now.

Cannot have ties, some one be the tie breaker.

pmflyfisher
06-24-2002, 07:48 PM
Juro,

Here are the demographics at the half way point of 2002 ?

Trout fisherman rule if you combine steelhead and trout categories together.

If any new members want to vote go right ahead.

Would be interesting to do a poll of how many cumulative years of fly fishing experience there are of the members

I will work up something.

Hal